Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Boston Ballet, Charlotte Ballet or CPYB SI?
By miareiland
On Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:57 AM

Hello! I'm having a hard time deciding what intensive to go to:
•Boston Ballet
•Charlotte Ballet
•CPYB
This summer, I want to improve the most in my technique. Also, I want to try to get a year round spot at Boston, but I can wait another year for that. I also sent in a video to SFB, but I haven't gotten my results yet.
Also, I'm 12 if that changes your opinion at all.
Thanks!

7 Replies to Boston Ballet, Charlotte Ballet or CPYB SI?

re: Boston Ballet, Charlotte Ballet or CPYB SI?
By miareiland
On Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:17 AM
P.S. I'm a student at ABT JKO so I also have the opportunity to stay at ABT for the summer
By yancync
On Mon Feb 15, 2016 08:22 AM
You are still very young and are at a great school. For technique, I would go to CPYB at your age. You have many years of SIs ahead of you. Have fun whichever you pick!
By MeaMSBMD
On Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:15 AM
Go to CPYB!
By miareiland
On Thu Feb 18, 2016 01:55 PM
Hi everyone! I just found out that I got into SFB!!! Ugh now it's even harder to decide but I did say no to Charlotte Ballet. If anyone has information on either of the two programs (SFB and CPYB) please share! It would be greatly appreciated :))
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 20, 2016 02:19 PM
Edited by nycsylph (206174) on 2016-02-20 14:23:31 Forgot something
Go to SFB. It's an astounding opportunity, so just grab it and run ... or bourree... :)

CPYB is a great program, no doubt, but don't miss out on SFB. SFB is so ridiculously picky, and if you've made it into the program, you're extremely fortunate and it means you have what they're looking for. The networking and training opportunities are amazing. You never know what could happen.

By miareiland
On Sat Feb 20, 2016 03:01 PM
nycslyph thanks so much!! I've decided to go to SFB, and I couldn't be happier with my decision!!
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 20, 2016 04:40 PM
miareiland wrote:

nycslyph thanks so much!! I've decided to go to SFB, and I couldn't be happier with my decision!!

Oh, gosh I am so excited for you! I really am!

I hope it's everything you dreamed of and more.

Please let us know how it goes for you ... :)
By AdamuBams
On Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:00 PM
CPYB is an amazing program for technique training, but some do not like this program. Students get 2, 1.5 hour technique classes a day and one 1 hr pointe or mens class. Some students also receive a partnering class either once or twice a week. Students are divided into numerous different levels based on their individual needs as a dancer, and the title of the level does not mean anything compared to the others. For example, I was in level E1 for the last two years but some students in D levels were considered more advanced. The teachers are amazing at giving good corrections and they all pay attention to every student and give individual and helpful corrections, especially the year round staff.

However, some students may not love this intensive for different reasons. There is no final performance of any type, although the parents can watch on the last day. For students interested in learning new variations, there are pretty much no opportunities to do so. Also, the schedule can become quite repetitive and boring at some times. The RAs are EXTREMELY strict about being in the dorm rooms in time for room check and having lights out and no talking by a certain time, which at times can be annoying. Some RAs are mean too- I was skipping my parents after lights out quietly because I was homesick and the RA yelled at me and threatened to give me an infraction. Also, being from New York City, I am used to an exciting urban lifestyle, and found the lazy town of Carlisle to be very boring at times. Although every class is unique and fun, having 2 technique classes a day with a barre in each becomes boring. For some levels there is a modern class once a week but that is it. They do offer extra classes but they cost money. Although this intensive was tiring, I felt that having more classes each day would be beneficial.

Overall, the CPYB intensive is not for everyone. If you are interested in strictly training your technique, this is a great place for you. However, if you are interested in learning new variations and different styles of dance and enjoy a busy and unique schedule, this is not the place for you. Hope this helps :)
By miareiland
On Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:13 PM
abbyyfrankel thank you so much! I'm from NYC too so I think Carlisle would be a bit boring. There's always next year for CPYB, so I'm going to SFB!! :)
By lbcat
On Wed Mar 09, 2016 09:50 AM
SFB and Boston Ballet are both very prestigious ballet schools! I would say go to either, both will be highly beneficial and will help you improve a lot. Congrats!!

ReplySendWatch