Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Ballet - Beginners
Exercises for Pigeon Toed Beginners
By TLoveLeDance Comments: 4, member since Mon Feb 08, 2016
On Sun Feb 14, 2016 06:07 PM

Okay so I plan on taking ballet lessons when I move to Uni in the UK this fall. I am currently training my body and getting into a better fit shape before I take lessons. But I also have pigeon toed feet so when I try to turn both my feet away from each other they both don't make it all the way like other ballerinas and when I try to get them to go as far as they get go I lose my balance and I am struggling to stay upright. I really want the turnout of my feet(if that's the proper term) to be perfect. So does anyone know of any exercises that I can practice right now to make my turnout better or that can help me work better with what I have? Any videos you can lead me to?

Also I once spoke about this with my mother when I was younger and yearning for classes then and she said that my father had pigeon toed feet as well and that he had both his feet broken and set the proper way as a child and wore braces. I wanted to know if that would work for me and she thought maybe I was too old for it, given that I am 19. Is there anyone who has had this done at a later age? And what are the consequences of doing so when you are about to train in Ballet?

1 Replies to Exercises for Pigeon Toed Beginners

re: Exercises for Pigeon Toed Beginners
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Feb 14, 2016 06:53 PM
First and foremost turn out comes from your hips. Being pigeon toed has to do with your metatarsals, right? Do not focus on where your toes are, focus on turning out from your hips.

Though, I would wait until you are in a class and can have a teacher work with you. I don't want to tell you to do something that you might not end up doing properly.
By TLoveLeDance Comments: 4, member since Mon Feb 08, 2016
On Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:36 PM
Thanks! I think you're right though.
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Feb 22, 2016 02:07 PM
No, pigeon toes means the client toes inwards as they walk, it all depends on where the leg turns in as to how much of a problem this will be, if the toeing inwards is from an anterior anteversion of the hip then it could present problems. Without knowing more about why this is happening we can't tell how much of a problem this might cause. Having said that a good teacher will have enough anatomical understanding to keep their dancers safe.
By PacificNWDancer Comments: 86, member since Thu Aug 10, 2006
On Sun Feb 28, 2016 09:20 PM
As another member said, turnout comes from the hips, not the feet. You are focusing on the wrong thing by attempting to turn your feet out so far, (rather than starting from the hip down) hence why you are loosing your balance. I would not attempt to force turnout any more (or attempting to imitate anything else) until you are actually in class with a knowledgeable teacher, or you are running the risk of doing damage to your knees.

There are stretches and other things you can do to improve your turnout, but I am hesitant to suggest them without being able to show you how to properly do them, and without you taking regular classes to warm you up, it's hard to be able to observe that you are warm enough to even safely do those stretches. Take class from a good teacher, it is the best way to learn and to get advice about things like turnout.
By Gaudium Comments: 1366, member since Wed Apr 14, 2004
On Wed Mar 30, 2016 03:12 PM
Visit this address to improve & understand turnout

www.youtube.com . . .

ReplySendWatch