Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Ballet - Adult Dancers
Are demi pointe shoes worth it? And am I ready?
By jaemaie015 Comments: 1, member since Sat Feb 20, 2016
On Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:17 AM

Hi, I'm Jae, I'm 18 and I've been dancing since August of 2015. I had minor dance experience before that, and I did gymnastics recreationally for 7 years before as well.
Honestly, dancing is my passion. I'm double majoring (US College) in English and Dance. I've loved to dance since I was a toddler. I'm currently dancing anywhere between 4-7 hours a week, and working on strength training at home whenever I get the chance.

Anyway, my point is this: I have an insanely absurd goal of being ready to GET pointe shoes by the end of June. I'm going to England then and I'd love to get my pointe shoes there.
My question is this: 1) Could I, in any way, be ready by then? and 2) would demi-pointe shoes be of any use/worth to me? And what would the pros and cons be to getting them, if I should at all?
Thank you so much in advance!

1 Replies to Are demi pointe shoes worth it? And am I ready?

re: Are demi pointe shoes worth it? And am I ready?
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Sat Feb 20, 2016 04:58 AM
With your background and the amount you are dancing per week, it is likely you will be ready for pointe shoes. Best is to ask your teacher.

Demi pointe shoes are, well, okay to use, I would say. You are not to go up on pointe in them, but they can give you what the pointe shoe would feel like.

Honestly, though, I tried them when I went back into ballet and was so strong I kept going on pointe in them by accident. My teacher told me just to wear real pointe shoes when that kept happening, but I had been dancing for about 20+ years with only a few years off prior to going back.

It really is a personal decision to try demi pointes, however. I don't think it will make that much of a difference in the long run, though.
By pureblacklily Comments: 29, member since Fri Dec 13, 2013
On Sat Mar 05, 2016 02:28 PM
I find demi pointe shoes really useful for stamina. I have a few pairs of old pointes that I've ripped the shanks out of. I use these for class and I find they work my feet a lot harder than soft shoes, and have noticed the difference. My feet never cramp up in flats, but did a lot when I started using demi pointes, but now I've find that they cramp less and I can work through it, which is really useful for when I'm on pointe.
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2574, member since Tue Feb 21, 2006
On Sun Mar 06, 2016 09:25 AM
I am working on rad intermediate for which you have to wear Demi-pointe shoes, I've been on pointe for years and thought Demi pointes would be a waste of money.
I was wrong, they are so worth it. My feet have never worked as hard! I recommend using them both to help you get used to the feel of working in pointe shoes and to increase the strength of your feet.
If you do end up getting pointes in London I recommend going to the sansha store the ladies in there were really nice when I went I after the assistants in the Bloch store had ignored me
By hummingbird Comments: 10410, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Mar 06, 2016 09:37 AM
I found my feet got so much stronger when using demi points, I bought my first couple of pairs but once I had my first pair of dead pointe shoes I never had to buy another pair again.

ReplySendWatch