Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

abt orange county summer intensive
By AdamuBams
On Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:45 AM

I have been accepted into the ABT Orange County Summer Intensive 2016 and am very excited to be attending! I have gone to other intensives before so I understand how most schedules and rules work, but unfortunately have not been able to find a lot of information online about this intensive. I would appreciate it if anyone who knows something about this intensive or has attended before could answer any of the following questions...
1. How many classes per day?
2. How far away are the dorms from the studios and how to students get to the studios each day?
3. How far from the dorms to dining hall or studios to dining hall?
4. Are the RAs strict?
5. What time is lights out?
6. Favorite part of summer intensive?
7. Least favorite part of summer intensive?
8. Do teachers give individual corrections or just general?
9. What are activities outside of class like?
10. Anything unique about this program or certain specific items to bring?

Thank you!

2 Replies to abt orange county summer intensive

re: abt orange county summer intensive (karma: 1)
By melissaga
On Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:40 PM
Have you read the reviews on Ballet Talk?

1. Generally about 4 classes each day. Ballet/pointe daily.
2. Very close. They are on the same side of the campus. Very convenient. Walking distance.
3. Same as above. Dining hall is near the studios and the dorms.
4. RAs vary from summer to summer, but this is an ABT program so there will be rules. Some privileges, like walking to the shopping center (Trader Joes, a dance store, pizza, In and Out Burger, and more) were rescinded one year for some reason or another. They were also particular about the dress code and dressing appropriately (no crop tops or the like when walking around campus).
5. Don't remember and this probably varies by age.
6. Everything
7. Less freedom than in some other SIs.
8. Both. Dancer felt the teachers at this SI were very good at teaching large classes, moving around and giving plenty of individual corrections as well as group corrections. But, it did vary by teacher and by day. Some were better at individual corrections than others. Just like anywhere else.

You did not ask, but there has been a trip to Disneyland and a trip to the beach each year.

Answered via my daughter who went to the SI twice. It was one of her favorites.
re: abt orange county summer intensive
By AdamuBams
On Sat Mar 05, 2016 09:10 PM
thank you for the help! i am very excited to go

ReplySendWatch