Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

JKO/SFB
By miareiland
On Sun Feb 28, 2016 08:53 PM

Hello! I currently train at the JKO school, and I am attending San Francisco Ballet for the summer. I would really like to train at SFBS year round, but I have a couple of questions.
1. At SFB this summer, are there certain things I should do/ methods I should adopt to stand out more?
2. If I got into SFBS for the year, should I go, or stay at JKO? I personally want to go to SFBS, but I want your opinion on which program I could get the most out of.
Thanks!

2 Replies to JKO/SFB

re: jko/sfb
By bambiballerina
On Tue Mar 08, 2016 02:20 PM
I'm going to SFB too! Which program are you doing? I have heard that for younger dancers (which would be program 1-aged dancers I guess) that staying for the year isn't worth it. The training is good but not spectacular for the year round, but if you're older chances are they're looking more closely at you for a traineeship or something and you get more performance opportunities. This is only based off of what I've heard from other people, not personal experience so I could be dead wrong. But I've known a few people who went for the year when they were 14-15 years old, and left before the year was over. But I've heard a lot better things from girls in the higher levels.
Hard decisions....
By DDS
On Tue Mar 29, 2016 08:09 AM
I have had students at both programs. Both were in their later teens and both received excellent training. The SFB has a longer history of training (JKO is newer). You might want to check the success rate % of graduates into the SFB and ABT as well as into other companies. How many kids don't get a job (or get a low paying regional ballet job). Make your decision based on what you chances of a job will be when you graduate.

ReplySendWatch