Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe shoe appearance
By Alassin_Sanemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 06, 2016 01:36 PM

This is possibly a very silly question but I'm going to ask it anyway...would it be really bad for me to by new pointe shoes just because I think my feet look ugly in my current ones (Bloch Aspirations)?

I have no practical issues with them - they fit and I can work through them with no problems. They're just a bit blocky and not very graceful looking.

When I first started pointe, I was just worried about balancing on the shoes and the shoe shape helped with that. I'm still wearing the same style though, and I secretly dream of something a bit prettier!

So...would I be making a fool of myself to ask the shop to refit me with a different style, or is this a legitimate reason for new shoes?

10 Replies to Pointe shoe appearance

re: Pointe shoe appearance
By hummingbird
On Sun Mar 06, 2016 02:19 PM
When you start pointe you have different needs from shoes so I don't think it's a silly reason to want to be refitted at all. You've realized as you've become more familiar with pointe that balance is not the issue you once thought it was. You may well also find you're feet have changed shape slightly too which could be part of the reason your shoes are looking a bit blocky.
By rosalinde
On Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:30 AM
By all means try another brand. The worst that can happen is that you find your current shoe is the best shoe for you -- and that will probably make it easier to live with a less aestetically-pleasing shoe.
By MeaMSBMD
On Mon Mar 07, 2016 03:47 PM
certainly your first or first few pairs should be as supportive as possible to reduce chance of injury and ensure a smooth transition into pointe work with as much confidence as your shoes can provide, but as you become older aesthetic should definitely be a consideration. I wouldn't think twice about getting new shoes if mine didn't look right. It's explained very well in this video: www.youtube.com . . . at around 12:50, the freed lady says "at this point in a dancer's training, we are equally concerned with the fit and appearance of the shoe" or something to that effect.
By SarahElizL
On Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:56 PM
I have always worn my shoes down really fast, I finally found a pair that lasted but I didn't like the way they looked. I got refitted to a shoe of similar build so it still lasts, but I love the way they look! They aren't nearly as clunky and boxy as my other shoes were. I was really happy to switch. So I'd go for it! I don't think that is a silly thing to ask for. Totally legitimate!
On Tue Mar 15, 2016 04:22 PM
Thank you all for your comments, I feel much better about this now. :) I was genuinely expecting responses telling me to stop being silly and stick with my old style!

I have decided that I'm going to book an appointment at the dance shop to be refitted once I've been paid, and see if I can find something that still works but looks more like I'd like them too.

I will update with how I get on later!
By taxi4ballet
On Sun Mar 20, 2016 06:43 PM
Does the dance shop have a wide range of different makes and styles, and do they have a big stock of them? If not, it will limit your choice rather a lot, and may not have your size even if there is a suitable alternative.
On Thu May 12, 2016 04:52 AM
Just a minor update to the thread - I have an appointment booked on Saturday afternoon to be refitted for a new pair of shoes! :) Thank you all again for being so encouraging.

taxi4ballet, it took a while but I've found a shop within travelling distance that stock a decent range of possibilities. I rang round all of the shops I could find and a lot seemed to only stock one brand. This one had a list of different brands with different models of each in most sizes. Hopefully I will find something there!
On Thu May 26, 2016 12:03 PM
Edited by Alassin_Sane (229726) on 2016-05-26 12:05:01 Added URL
I HAVE NEW SHOES!!! (Sorry for shouting, but I'm very excited about it!)

I went to the shop I found, and she spent quite a while with me trying different sizes, widths and styles. She found a make / model that she thought would really suit my feet but she wasn't happy with the sizes she had in stock, and said she would rather lose a sale than sell me a pair that didn't fit properly (I was happy to hear that about such an important purchase!). So she ordered in some more for me me and redid the fitting when they arrived, and found a beautiful pair for me.

So instead of my old Bloch Aspirations, I now have Grishko Fouette Pro-Flex, and they are stunning! My feet have never looked as pretty on pointe and I couldn't be happier with them. My teacher checked and approved them for me last night, so I can start sewing the ribbons on today.

As a bonus, following the service I had, I now know of a good dance store within a fairly reasonable travel distance for next time I need shoes etc (for anyone in within travelling distance of Sunderland, it was Stage Struck Dancewear, and I definitely recommend them - www.stagestruckdancewear.com).

Thank you again to all of you who took the time to reply and reassure me. :)
By Gracie220
On Fri May 27, 2016 09:47 AM
Of course you're shouting - new pointe shoes are always exciting!!! Congrats on finding an awesome new pair and a great store! :)
By hummingbird
On Sun May 29, 2016 08:53 AM
That's great! I'm so glad you found a good shop and fitter too, it makes a world of difference doesn't it.

ReplySendWatch