Forum: Adults / College

College
Design Student needing help with designing a dance studio
By AndreilEl Comments: 0, member since Mon May 30, 2016
On Tue Mar 08, 2016 08:02 PM

Hi everyone I am a design student and am trying to design a couple of dance spaces but im not sure what is the best dimensions for a typical dance room. One of the spaces I am designing has a width of 23 feet by 56 feet and was wondering if that is too big or way to crowded. and my second one has a width of 21 feet by 50 feet. please help me determine if these sizes are appropriate as well as if you have any suggestions as to what to put into a dance room besides mirrors, dance bars, music station, special flooring and a water station.

1 Replies to Design Student needing help with designing a dance studio

re: Design Student needing help with designing a dance studio (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Mar 09, 2016 09:10 PM
I just did the math and the square footage sounds good to me! My dance room is only 600 square feet and my biggest competitor has two rooms that are both smaller than mine. Do you have a price limit?

In addition to floor space, make sure the ceilings are high enough for lifts. Sprung floors are a must, and in my world, one would be Marley, and one would be hard wood for tap.

I'd also love triple barres instead of just doubles. Also, put them far enough from the wall to enable turns at the barre. I saw a Russian studio done this way and I was green with envy! Built in open shelves or
cubbies" along one wall to stow dance bags, water bottles, etc, would also be lovely, as well as built in space for "music machines",electronics, and a cd library. In a dream world, a wall mounted tv for instructional videos and special event viewing would also be nice in that part of the room.

If you go with very high ceilings, perhaps built in storage bins/cabinets, high up for costumes and props and all those things that have turned the basement in my home into the "room of doom".

Finally, two way mirrors for parent viewing from the waiting room... really, my ultimate dream. Parents can watch but the kids can't see them and they can't be heard, which is distracting and causes a conflict of authority. This, of course, assumes you are designing a studio for families,, not pros.

Good luck. I'd love to see the final result.

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch