Forum: Job Talk

Tired of the drama
By ivydance
On Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:34 PM

So today a student comes into rehearsal for our performance troupe 30 minutes late. I was not pleased for obvious reasons. As the student and her mother entered I reminded them that class started 30 minutes ago and asked what had happened. The mother immediately got very upset saying "that was not a very warm welcome or a good start." We exchanged a few more words resembling an argument. I am left feeling very confused. Someone comes into class 30 minutes late and I'm at fault for not giving a warm welcome? Does this sort of thing ever happen to anyone else? I'm feeling so frustrated by these types of situations lately. Any advice for follow up or how to get through to difficult personalities?

5 Replies to Tired of the drama

re: Tired of the drama
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 12, 2016 06:04 AM
My first thought was something bad might have happened to cause them to be late, and you further upset her by not being all "happened? Are you alright? Etc" she might have been looking for comfort?

Or has she alway been like that?
By kr_WDance
On Sat Mar 12, 2016 06:50 PM
I am so tired of the drama too. I just wanted to give you some validation about your feelings. I just feel lately like there is so much of this drama and kids acting entitled. I am ready to quit!
I would have apologized profusely if I walked into class late as a student!
By Spiorad
On Sun Mar 13, 2016 04:24 AM
NO. She is being ridiculous. Of course it is bad if something happened before they came in, but they should have had the common sense to know that walking in to a class 30 minutes late is bad and there is NO WAY you could have known if something bad had happened.

You need to put a stopper on this now. I would talk to the mother in private first and state that you are sorry if something happened before she came into the studio, but regardless, her response/argument was inappropriate. Tell her that in the future she can say something along the lines of "I apologize for being late, there is something I need to discuss with you regarding it after class."
By SuncoastDance1
On Wed Jul 17, 2019 01:42 PM
You're nicer than me. 30 minutes late for a rehearsal...nope. Go home. (Unless there was an emergency)
Parents can be ridiculous. I'd send out a mass email reminding everyone was is expected of them etc.
By TgthsouthPremium member
On Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:45 AM
Yes 30mins late don't even think to come to class.
By tutufun
On Sun Jan 12, 2020 06:08 PM
30 minutes late?
You wait until the instructor acknowledges you, and then you apologize profusely.
Ballet etiquette needs to be taught to both students and parents.
Your student should have already known that her tardiness was a significant breach of etiquette, and informed her parent likewise.
They both should have apologized.

ReplySendWatch