Forum: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

Irish - Hardshoe
No more drums in Trad Sets??
By KittyKat241 Comments: 69, member since Mon Dec 15, 2003
On Sat Mar 12, 2016 09:48 PM

My TC told me that drums are no longer allowed in traditional sets...when did this change?!?! I'm so bummed because I love drums!!!

4 Replies to No more drums in Trad Sets??

re: No more drums in Trad Sets??
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:00 AM
so this is the current language in the guidelines:

Dancers are not permitted to move in a counter direction when executing "rolls." "Rolls" may be danced on the spot or moving in the direction of the leading foot e.g. the first bar of music in the King of the Fairies may be danced on the spot or to the right when dancing on the right foot and on the spot or to the left when dancing on the left foot.

BUT the link where that comes from is down,so I'm wondering if they're updating the rules...I'm not sure what you would do in a dance like King to replace them.
By StepdancerPremium member Comments: 1977, member since Sun Oct 22, 2006
On Sun Mar 13, 2016 06:45 PM
We learned KOF without drums. We use "heel-step, heel-step" near the beginning of the set as in this video:

www.youtube.com . . .

Olive Hurley also mentions this variation in her trad set video.
By Teasharkmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 502, member since Fri Oct 06, 2006
On Thu Mar 17, 2016 01:19 AM
Hi

Can you clarify what Organization you are in? The rules are different for what is or is not allowed and what is considered "traditional" depending on who you are affiliated with. (I won't go into the whole traditional vs invented discussion this early - 7:15am - on St. Patrick's day)

If you are talking about CLRG I can get it clarified for you tomorrow - my TC is on their committee and knows of the newest decisions.

Kind regards

TeaShark in Ireland
By KittyKat241 Comments: 69, member since Mon Dec 15, 2003
On Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:52 PM
Sorry, I didn't see your response until now :( I'm with CLRG

ReplySendWatch