Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage
What do you put in your hamburgers?
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Mar 13, 2016 09:17 PM

I make a pretty mean meatloaf. However, when I make a hamburger, it's always kind of dry. I'm not like some of the cooks on the Food Network. My meat should not be mooing or pink. We buy ours from a small local grocery store/deli that makes theirs up right in the store with no pink slime. It's been in business since the 60's or maybe even the 50's and it's one of 2 in our town that are left from that era. They make the best ground beef which you can see in the showcase. I don't want to make my meat loaf into hamburgers but what can I add into mine to make it more moist? Someone on the Food Network said to cook it 4 min. on med. heat on each side. We have an electric stove, not gas if that makes a difference. I never seem to like my burgers. Would adding milk to the meat help? It's what I do with my meatloaf.

14 Replies to What do you put in your hamburgers?

re: What do you put in your hamburgers?
By UnderwaterBubblemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2378, member since Mon Jun 09, 2003
On Mon Mar 14, 2016 02:52 AM
I think adding breadcrumbs (or, we use weet-bix although I think that's an aussie cereal but maybe you have something similar?) holds in the moisture, at least, when I asked why we add it that is what I was told. We use mince, diced onion, the weet-bix and a bunch of herbs and spices and they're usually pretty moist.
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Mon Mar 14, 2016 04:31 AM
We add chopped onion to ours (no breadcrumbs or anything like that) and cook them on our George Foreman grill. The onion definitely makes them juicier... Without it our burgers are hard little hockey pucks. It has to be fresh, not the dried stuff in the spice shaker.
On Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:13 AM
I add breadcrumbs to my meatloaf. We do have Weetabix in our stores which surprises me because when I went to England in the 80's it was breakfast cereal and I had never heard of it before. I've only seen it in our stores in the last 2 or 3 years. Like I say, I don't want to make a meatloaf but in burger size. I could try it though.
As for the onions, that sounds like a good idea. I love them caramelized, not raw. We have a George Forman grill but some of the non stick coating is peeling off. I've had it for years. I won it in an on-line contest. I should get rid of it because that non-stick coating isn't good if it goes in your food.
Thanks for the idea, guys! If anyone else has some good ideas, I'm willing to listen and try.
I should have said this is what I put in my meatloaf. Breadcrumbs, an egg or 2 depending on how much Hamburg I have, 1/2 cup of milk and sometimes some seasoning which is just for flavor, not to make it moist.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Mar 14, 2016 01:45 PM
Salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce.
On Mon Mar 14, 2016 01:48 PM
I never thought of using that sauce that Bugs Bunny can't pronounce! LOL Thanks for that idea too!
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1263, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Mon Mar 14, 2016 02:19 PM
My husband LOVES using Worcestershire sauce with ground beef, and he's slowly turning me into a convert. At the very least, it's an enjoyable time to trip over pronouncing it. :) I second giving it a try in your burgers!
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3639, member since Wed Jan 15, 2003
On Sat Mar 19, 2016 01:12 PM
My fiancé makes just about the best homemade burgers I've ever had, and anyone we invite over for them tends to agree. But I may be biased ;)

He uses 1/2 beef and 1/2 pork. The pork tends to be a little bit juicier and sweeter. Then egg, salt, pepper, chiliflakes, panko bread crumbs, garlic, worcestershire and dijon mustard.

We always cook our burgers on the smoker, so they get a little extra flavour from that. Sometimes he gets extra fancy and puts a couple cheddar cheese cubes in the patties, or wraps them in bacon.
On Sat Mar 19, 2016 07:55 PM
Your boyfriend probably does make great burgers. Can I come over? LOL
I like what he does with pork and hamburg. I might just have to try that. Except for the hot stuff which because I am a super taster I can't have or my mouth is on fire for hours, the rest sounds really good. Next time I make my burgers, I am going to try what all of you say and then let you know how it comes out.
I would be a lousy vegetarian because I love meat! LOL
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sat Mar 19, 2016 08:45 PM
I don't put anything in them, but when I use really lean meat... like 93%, I sometimes give them a coat of olive oil before shaking the salt and pepper over them. It seems to help seal in the moisture.

Someone told me that store ground meat has a sizable amount of water added... I don't know if that would help...

Now I'm wondering about all kinds of things ... I'll be back if I find out anything interesting.

Keep On Dancing*
On Sat Mar 19, 2016 09:44 PM
Wow, I can't believe all the good ideas I am getting for juicy hamburgers! Now I can't wait to try a bunch of them. We love cheeseburgers so we always put cheese on top.
I think our hamburg is pretty lean. They grind it up right there and if you buy a steak at this little grocery store they cut it right there for you. It tastes amazing and I don't worry that they put anything in it or that they switched the expiration dates on them or the pink slime thing or anything you hear that they do in supermarkets. I'm glad I don't have to worry about the meat. Now I want a hamburg and it's 11:45 PM! LOL
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:34 PM
This sounds weird but I got the idea from a Blue Apron recipe. Lemon zest and lemon juice add great flavor to burgers (and a bunch of other dishes too). I also do chopped up onion in my burgers. I also sometimes but the cheese directly in the burger to make it nice a gooey throughout.
On Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:04 PM
I cannot stand the taste of lemon! My sister swears I used to suck on lemons when I was a kid but I've been a super taster since I was a child. No way I ever sucked on lemons! She has me confused with my sister we left on that other planet! LOL We used to go to this Chinese restaurant before it closed and I would get the fried chicken wings. In my first order they put a slice of lemon in the bag and stapled it. When I got home all I could taste was lemon, not the chicken. The next time when we ordered I told them not to put a lemon slice in the bag. I didn't like the taste and it wasn't actually in the recipe, just a slice on the chicken. They said okay and when we got home, there was that darn lemon! We stopped going there. They closed up because people said they were serving cats instead of chicken.
I like adding the cheese to the meat which I will also do. Thanks for the ideas!
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sun Mar 20, 2016 07:16 AM
I take 1/4 of an onion and about 8 mushrooms and I cook them in a pan. I then put them into a blender and grind it up until I have a onion/mushroom paste.

I throw the paste into the uncooked meat, along with soy sauce, ketchup and worchester sauce. It ends up being a meatloaf like burger, but I like it that way.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Thu Mar 24, 2016 04:18 PM
Recipe 1:
Use a grind with no more than 15% fat. If you can get a coarse grind, so much the better.
Add:
>1 egg for every three persons.
>Sharp mustard to taste - read the ingredients on mustard carefully. Horseradish is your friend here, and sweeteners are your enemy. Gulden's is good. Inglehoffer is better, but it costs the earth.
>Chopped onions to taste.
>Ice water. You want a consistency that just barely holds together.
Mix well and grill, fry, or broil. You want it just as red, pink, or brown as you would want a steak.

Recipe 2:
This is Mabellene's recipe for when the Fenstermachers overstayed their welcome by a month.
You will need a cement mixer, and - Mabellene! Put down that frying pan!

I trust that nobody here is named Mabellene.

ReplySendWatch