Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Walnut Hill School or Oregon Ballet Theatre?
By SarahElizL
On Mon Mar 14, 2016 04:23 PM

Hi everyone!
I was recently accepted into a few different intensives, and I know I will be going to two programs. The first is ABT collegiate in New York. After that, I would either go to Walnut Hill School for the Arts or Oregon Ballet Theatre. Both of those programs gave me a 50% scholarship. I attended Walnut Hill last year, and really feel like I improved there. I live in a small town in Alaska so I don't know anyone who has been to Oregon, but I have been interested in their company. Does anyone have any advice as to which program would be better for me?
Thanks in advance! :D

4 Replies to Walnut Hill School or Oregon Ballet Theatre?

re: Walnut Hill School or Oregon Ballet Theatre? (karma: 1)
By melissaga
On Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:58 AM
If you've been accepted to ABT-Collegiate, then I think you must be at least 17.. is that right? If so, then you are at an age when you would need to be seriously looking at companies if you are going to continue in ballet, unless you are attending a college BFA program. Either way, at this age, I would think you'd want to attend a company affiliated program instead of a school, especially with a 50% scholarship.
re: Walnut Hill School or Oregon Ballet Theatre?
By SarahElizL
On Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:00 AM
Melissaga, Yes I just turned 17! Thank you so much for the input, I think that's the way I am leaning as of now. I would love to join a company so I feel like that would be the smarted choice. Thanks again!
By SarahElizL
On Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:03 AM
Melissaga, Yes I just turned 17! Thank you so much for the input, I think that's the way I am leaning as of now. I would love to join a company so I feel like that would be the smarted choice. Thanks again!
By lbcat
On Mon Mar 28, 2016 09:46 PM
Hi! First of all congrats on your acceptances! You're 17 so I imagine you are looking for a company to dance with by now if you want to dance professionally. If you were accepted into OBT and are in the highest level (level 6) I would highly recommend going their as you could potentially be asked to stay year round in the year round program, get a traineeship or aprenticeship with the company or join OBT2, their second company. Same goes for ABT but it is much harder because it's a huge, prestigious company. Walnut Hill is great, but if you're trying to get into a company I wouldn't recommend that. I'm 14 and going to OBT this summer, hope to see you there if you decide to go! By the way a girl from my studio who was 17 last year went to OBT and was offered a traineeship and she studies at OBT know and is hoping to get a contract with the company! Best wishes

ReplySendWatch