Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
Different sized eyes - anything to worry about or just a cosmetic quirk of my face?
By Alassin_Sanemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 266, member since Tue Dec 28, 2010
On Sat Mar 19, 2016 02:32 PM
Edited by Alassin_Sane (229726) on 2016-03-19 14:34:11 See ETA

This is possibly a bit of a weird question, but I'm unsure if I need to actually do anything or not. Google is not helping, and I thought there might be a chance that someone on here might be able to give some insight.

Basically, I have noticed today that one of my eyes looks noticeably bigger than the other. Looking at my profile pic on here, I think my face has never been completely symmetrical, but it looks less pronounced on the older picture.

I'm not sure if it's related, but the past couple of months, I've had a muscle twitch (sorry, I don't know if there's a technical term!) underneath the same (left) eye. Not all the time, just maybe a couple of times a day briefly.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew:

a) are either of these things likely to be anything to worry about medically?
b) if so, would it be a GP or an optician I'd need to see about it?

All google is giving me is links about cosmetic surgery. If it is purely cosmetic, I certainly don't care enough to want surgery - I'm just starting to wonder if I should be worried at all.

[Assuming I've done it right, I've attached a cropped version of the photo from earlier today where I noticed the difference in size / shape.]

ETA: Holy giant photo, Batman - sorry, I'm not sure how to make it smaller!

2 Replies to Different sized eyes - anything to worry about or just a cosmetic quirk of my face?

re: Different sized eyes - anything to worry about or just a cosmetic quirk of my face?
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Mar 19, 2016 05:33 PM
No one is truly symmetrical, even if they think they are, eyes are just an easy thing to pin point and see that they're not equal in size or level. You'll have these sorts of things going on all over your body if you know how to look for it. Try putting your hands on the top of your pelvis and see if they're both at exactly the same height in a mirror, I'd put money on them not being level if you look really closely. In short it's noting to worry about, it's not even a quirk, it's perfectly natural when photoshop isn't involved.
re: Different sized eyes - anything to worry about or just a cosmetic quirk of my face?
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Mon Mar 28, 2016 09:55 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2016-03-28 09:57:57
I honestly can't tell which eye you think looks bigger :O Muscle twitches, especially in the eyelid, are pretty common and benign. I had one that lasted at least a week, maybe longer, because I was going through a particularly stressful time.

Nobody really has a perfectly symmetrical face, and if they did, it would probably be pretty weird.

ReplySendWatch