Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Ballet - Beginners
Flat feet, still pointe?
By Balletlover9483 Comments: 1, member since Mon Jun 27, 2016
On Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:01 PM
Edited by auroraborealis (277116) on 2016-03-23 17:02:18 I spelled my own name wrong.

Hello!

My name is Mara-Sophia, and I am now 20 years old. From the ages 4-10 I did ballet (five hours a week), never en pointe though, as my ballet school wouldn't even consider it before the age of 12.
I gave that up to try and work on a professional career in gymnastics, which went well, until I had a skiing accident and a temporary paralysis with damage to my vertebrae (they were not broken, there are no injuries that overdured their stay, just back then, I had to completely stop.)

Now, I've been doing ballet again for six months (4 times a week - 1 hour each. Stretching daily at home. Not as much as practicising at home as repeating things I know I do correctly), and generally the technique has been coming back very, very easily. For some genetic reason I do not understand, but am infinitely grateful for, my muscle development and strength seems to be twice the normal speed, and both my instructors (who are both ex-ballerinas for the vienna national ballet) have told me it will be very easy for me to go en pointe in a very short amount of time (say another 6 months ), the only problem that comes up being that I have no arch at all while standing on the ground (demi-pointe looks pretty normal, I will show a picture soon). Now, both have told me it is not impossible for me to go en pointe, even with rigid flats and no real arch, a physician should give me the green light, and if I get the right shoes for these type of feet it will still be possible for me to go en pointe.
I would really love, love love to hear of you, and if any of you have experience in actually going en pointe even though your feet might not be the best to start with please, share those stories. It would encourage me.

Thank you all so much :) :)

2 Replies to Flat feet, still pointe?

re: Flat feet, still pointe?
By hummingbird Comments: 10418, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Mar 24, 2016 01:45 PM
Your teachers are quite right if you have enough ankle articulation then there's no reason why a flat footed dancer can't go on pointe,
re: Flat feet, still pointe?
By Gaudium Comments: 1366, member since Wed Apr 14, 2004
On Sat Mar 26, 2016 06:35 AM
Hummingbird is correct, there is no reason to hold you back, as long as you have the ankle articulation, I might add going en-point may even improve your flat feet. Trust me going en-point is well worth the discomfort. But you should understand there will be discomfort! Nothing is free not even beauty that you wish to share with others.

ReplySendWatch