Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe shoe woes -urgent!
By iv_loves_pointe
On Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:27 PM

Hello all! I need some help with a pointe shoe situation.

First let me say that I've got some of the hardest feet to find pointe shoes for. I have super strong feet/metarsals but flat feet and tight ankles.

I've gone from wearing Capezio (forgot which style) to Grishkos 2007 to Gaynor Mindens to Bloch European Balance to recently Bloch B-Morph.

Okay so the only shoes that I have loved the most and work the best for my feet are the European Balances. They really help me to get over the box and I feel super strong in them. However, lately, after I wear them maybe 3 or 4 times, I get a crack on the sides of the boxes that gets worse with time. I think I've killed them with the strength of my feet. I try jet glue and they still die. I love these shoes so much but I can't keep buying shoes this often.

There is a really good dance store about 30 miles away from my house that has great fitters who know what they're talking about. I went back there to get a new shoe after the EB and we went with the B-Morph. They did not tell me, though, that to break them in you have to do the hair dryer procedure? I tried that and they still don't feel good, though. In the store, the shoes fit beautifully, but once I work in them, they hurt so much. I've been en pointe for a while and I know pointe should not be this painful after wearing them for only 15 minutes. Last class, I could barely get through barre before I went back to my EB. I think a problem may be the width of the b-morphs? I have very wide feet and wear a 4x in EB but a 3x in b-morphs (largest width they have).

Here are my options...
1. Go back to buying European Balances, try waxing them to see if that extends the life
2. Go back to the dance store and see if they have another style for me to try
3. Keep trying to wear the b-morphs

I have to decide what to do soon because I have a performances in June, but I have to start breaking in pointe shoes and saving them for the show now! Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

4 Replies to Pointe shoe woes -urgent!

re: Pointe shoe woes -urgent!
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Sat Mar 26, 2016 08:22 PM
You might want to look into Russian Pointes for your feet. I, too, have flat feet and tight-ish ankles. The "flexible soft" variety last about 2 months (at about 3 hours of pointe a week). I used to go through Capezios every two-three weeks. My feet are strong and kill the boxes, as well. They widen so badly that my feet sink into them.

RPs have worked the best. Yes, I tried a load of others- including Gaynors. RPs work better than Gaynors for me now.
By hummingbird
On Sun Mar 27, 2016 09:30 AM
It sounds like your feet have outgrown the EB, not in the they got bigger way :) but they have got too strong for the shoe to be effective. You need to go back and have a good long talk with the fitter about what you like in the shoe and what isn't working now.

If you have very wide feet then I doubt that Russians will be the best fit for you, Grishko's might work, they tend to fit a wider foot nicely, I'd also look at Suffolks.
By cremazie
On Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:43 PM
Maybe you could special order the European Balances with a TMT box? That should be possible, though you may have to call them.

Also, it isn't necessary to do the hairdryer process if you like how they fit out of the box. I've got a pair of TMT Serenades that I never bothered to hairdryer, and the box lasted forever.
By S_H_A_O_
On Sun Apr 03, 2016 02:38 PM
Hi, I seem to have a similar issue, and I currently wear Freeds. I have somewhat strong feet but they don't arch well. The Freeds I have are a 3/4 shank, allowing the arch of my feet to look better. I jet glue the box, which helps them last about 2 weeks (8+ hours of pointe per week). I would definitely try Freeds, but I do know they don't work for everyone. They're really hard to get used to, but I've been wearing them for about 2 years now and I love them!

ReplySendWatch