Forum: Job Talk

How long are your classes?
By Estrellaj
On Sun Mar 27, 2016 06:52 PM

Hi all!

Recently one of my old students was telling me about the new studio he attends and that the classes there are never more than 45 minutes. I was able to get a schedule and sure enough, all classes are either 30 min or 45 min long.

At our studio we do 30/45 min classes for young children only. All other classes are at minimum an hour long. Technique classes are 1.5 hours long.

Are we making our classes too long and losing out on studio time for other things?

9 Replies to How long are your classes?

re: How long are your classes?
By iv_loves_pointe
On Sun Mar 27, 2016 08:28 PM
Hey! At our studio, little ones are 45 mins for ballet, intermediate ballet 1 hr to 1 hr 15, advanced ballet levels are 1.5 hours.

Contemporary for intermediate is 1 hour. Contemporary for advanced is 1.5 hours.

Tap is 1 hour for intermediate and advanced and 45 mins for little ones.

I think this works out enough time for the different ages. Little ones can usually handle 45 mins and allotting 1 hr to 1.5 hrs for older kids allows more time for technique, choreography, combos, etc.
By RileyA
On Mon Mar 28, 2016 02:12 AM
Our shortest classes are 45 minutes, but these are either toddler dance for 2 year olds or back to back with other dance classes, our longest classes are 3 hours.
By hummingbird
On Mon Mar 28, 2016 08:45 AM
3 year olds get 30 minutes, 4 year olds get 45 minutes, 5 and 6 year olds get a full hour but it's a combo class, we find that's a good way to combat lack of attention span but still work them towards a full hour class.

In all disciplines 7 and 8 year olds get one hour long class a week. 9-10 year olds then get 2 hour long classes a week in ballet and one hour in their other disciplines. On average by the time the kids are 12-13 they get 2 classes a week in ballet, one is an hour long and the other is an hour and a half. In the other disciplines they get a one and a quarter hour class per week.

You don't say how old the student is or what sort of level they're at or what discipline you're discussing but it does sound short.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 28, 2016 07:51 PM
We're pretty widely varied. The longest class I can think of that we have is an hour and 15 minutes, and that's our Company level Jazz Technique class. Most weigh around an hour.

I have a class of 7-9 year old beginners that it's a jazz/tap class and they go an hour. And there are days where I have to vamp to get through a full hour, and days where I could work them twice that long. :D
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:05 PM
We used to do shorter classes but I dropped most of them off of our schedule. All of our 3-4 year old classes are one hour as are our 4-5 year old classes. We don't have issues with attention or burn-out. Our only short classes are the baby classes, 15mos - 3yrs, which are thirty minutes now are going to be 45 minutes starting this summer.
By DDS
On Tue Mar 29, 2016 08:19 AM
We do 30 minutes for ages 2/3 with parent. 45 minutes for ages 4-6. 1 hour for ages 7+ and longer for teen dancers (depending on how serious they are 1.25-1.75). Too short a class encourages a lack of focus. Not to mention you little work can be accomplished.
By californiadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:34 PM
We do a half hour for the littlest ones (2-3s), 1 hour for a two style combo for ages 3-6 (3-4, 4-5, 5-6 groups), 45 minutes for a tap class, 1 hour for all other styles until the advanced level and then they are 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Ideally I would have all the ballet classes be 1 hour 15 minutes and 1 hour 30 minutes or even 1 hour 45 minutes for the advanced kids. You really can't get through a full classical ballet class without that amount of time.
By SDAdancerLIM
On Tue May 17, 2016 07:32 PM
Almost all of the classes at my studio are an hour, including the creative movement classes (3 and 4 year olds). The only thing that isn't one hour is company rehearsals, which is usually 2-3 hours.
By SuncoastDance1
On Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:55 AM
2-3 year old class is 30 min
3-5 yr ballet is 30 min
3-5 tap/ballet combo is 60 min
Basically everything else is 1-1.5 hours depending on age and style/s learned in class.

ReplySendWatch