Guys in Ballet
16% increase in male RAD exams
By Storm_Trouper Comments: 808, member since Mon May 21, 2012
On Mon Mar 28, 2016 03:08 AM

9 Replies to 16% increase in male RAD exams

re: 16% increase in male RAD exams
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Mar 28, 2016 08:51 AM
It's a shame it's taken them almost 100 years to understand that! All they needed to do was talk to the parents of said boys and ask them what interests them. I use all sorts of Marvel, computer game and Disney characters to engage my preschool boys in their class including Batman, Spiderman and Power Rangers to name a few.
On Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:58 AM
Yes; well we DO do things just a bit differently here... in the Colonies ;)
On Tue Mar 29, 2016 08:18 AM
Not really, it's the same way I used to teach boys in England too, it's just the RAD and the other teaching organizations that are different and that's why they've always had way less boys than girls wanting to dance. I know my sons would have rather done anything else in the world rather than go into a room full of pink fluffy tutus and lots of little girls pretending to be fairies. It's a shame the RAD didn't understand this a long time ago.
By balletisawesome Comments: 74, member since Sat May 02, 2009
On Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:40 PM
exactly. if you want more guys in ballet. you can't have it be all pink everywhere. i remember when my studio had an influx of boys once me, and another guy joined the adult ballet class. like 5 more guys signed up. but it was still pink everywhere. the teacher decided to make one studio purple and the other light green. it was nicer to look at and it felt less girly.

think of all the guys that want to do ballet but won't either bc they're scared of the stigma, the parents are, etc.
On Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:47 PM
I have heard of using knights and pirates for small boys, just not video game characters and action figures.

Thing is, male super heros mainly wear TIGHTS; and the leotard originated for guys on the flying trapeze and circus strongmen, etc. So that's always been a positive connection to men in ballet probably in that small respect.

But in Russia, Paris Opera and Denmark, are they too all enamoured with PINK? Or is it more just a UK/NorAm thing. Ballet pink satin covered toe shoes and slippers and ballet girl tights, sure. But the walls too?! :)
On Sun Apr 03, 2016 07:55 PM
In Canada for piano studies there is the Royal Conservstory of Music of Toronto, or RCM. (It's not the only syllabus organization in the country.). The Canadian broadcaster CBC commented today that the RCM's grade 4 syllabus now includes a traditional national sports musical theme, 'Hockey Night in Canada'. So even the venerable RCM is updating its content to reflect changing times I suppose.
On Mon Apr 04, 2016 06:27 AM
And so they should if they want to stay current.
By Gaudium Comments: 1366, member since Wed Apr 14, 2004
On Thu May 12, 2016 03:37 PM
staying current is not always a plus. It is a negative when being current and political correct are one and the same. Bet now I am in trouble.
On Sat May 14, 2016 09:26 AM
If you want to be relevant then staying current is pretty important.

ReplySendWatch