Forum: Adults / Married Life

Married Life
How long were you together before getting engaged?
By JosieJoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1210, member since Sun May 15, 2005
On Wed Mar 30, 2016 02:53 PM

...purely out of interest? I've only been with my boyfriend for four months, he's 32 and I'm 24 and I know I want to marry him. I'm by no means expecting him to ask me any time soon. We're going on holiday in August and have said when we come back we'll start to look into buying a house together. So anyway, how long were you together before getting engaged and how long were you engaged before getting married?

9 Replies to How long were you together before getting engaged?

re: How long were you together before getting engaged?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Mar 30, 2016 09:59 PM
We were together 10 years before we got engaged. And I didn't even really care that much about getting married, I just wanted him to be more than my boyfriend. I wanted to have to stop explaining that he was my sons dad.

We were engaged 14 months before we got married. Turns out, when your preschooler tells you it's time to get married, you figure it out pretty quick. ;)
By Rinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2059, member since Wed Apr 21, 2004
On Thu Mar 31, 2016 07:53 AM
Drew and I were together 8 years before we got married.
I knew within the first 6 months, but we were in no rush. It always bugged me when people would ask when my ultimatum was, but even if he never proposed, I still wanted to be with him.
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Mar 31, 2016 08:27 AM
We were together for 18 months when we married and properly engaged 2 months prior to that, as in letting the family know.

Privately though we'd both agreed we were going to get married within 4 months of meeting, it just felt right.
By JosieJoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1210, member since Sun May 15, 2005
On Thu Mar 31, 2016 03:47 PM
Thanks for sharing ladies!

John and I talked about our future from the off really, with him being that little bit older than me he wanted to make it clear from the beginning that he wasn't messing around, that he wanted to settle down. We were exclusive from the second date and having met on 4th December, were official by Christmas. It's strange, I've never been in a relationship before where I could realistically imagine my boyfriend proposing to me and although - as I previously said - I'm not expecting him to for a good while yet, the thought of it is exciting!
By MaraschinoCherry Comments: 182, member since Fri Nov 11, 2005
On Fri Apr 01, 2016 08:04 AM
My husband and I got serious quite quickly. We were both in our mid-20s. About a month after we met, he began talking about how we should probably be more serious before I moved out of town seven months later. I thought he meant engagement, and I thought it was way too fast! But we spent lots more time together, and by the time he proposed three months after we met, it seemed like we had known each other forever! We were married eight months after we met, and we moved away together. Now we have two children, and I am enjoying being married more than I thought I would be!
If you had asked me right before I met him whether I thought I would be married that year, I would have said the idea was incredibly ridiculous! But you can't let yourself be influenced by society's timelines to your detriment. Work on your own time.
We were just marveling the other day that, even though we had only known each other a few months and had never lived with each other, there were absolutely no surprises after marriage. Communication makes all the difference. Also, I was a little worried after the three year "honeymoon period" was over our relationship might be more strained. That didn't happen either. Quick marriages can totally work!
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Fri Apr 01, 2016 01:28 PM
We had been together for a little over 5 1/2 years and our engagement was 10 months. We got married on the day we'd been together 6 1/2 years exactly. Gonna hit the ten year anniversary on our first date this year, and that is still so crazy to me. It doesn't feel that long at all.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Sun Apr 03, 2016 09:41 AM
We were together for two months before we got engaged. Two months after that, we were married. When you know, you know.

Seven years later we're still together!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:02 AM
We were supposed to get engaged on the fifth anniversary of being "official." That had to be delayed for a week because of an ice storm which prevented me from getting home from college. At the time, my wife was recuperating from a car accident which happened as she was going to the University to register for the semester. She had to drop out of school that semester. I was uninjured in the accident. Her mom was driving. It was my last semester. By going to summer school, she did graduate on schedule and we got married a few months after her graduation. I was already away for my job. So we were married just short of 7 years after meeting, but we did meet at ages 16 and 15. We had our 50th anniversary last fall.

Jon
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Fri Apr 08, 2016 04:11 AM
We were together for 3 years before getting engaged, and got married 8 months later :)

ReplySendWatch