Forum: Competitions

I Love Dance competition
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 09, 2016 05:51 PM

Tomorrow, my studio and I are heading to the I Love Dance competition in Manchester, NH. (Come say hi if you're also there!)

We've read the reviews, and to be quite honest... They're pretty awful. (Check out dancecompetitionhub.com and search for I Love Dance). Now, when I say awful... I mean full out BAD.

Has anyone ever been to this competition? My dancers and the rest of the studio staff are pretty concerned about being disqualified or yelled at for breaking some of their, quite frankly, ridiculous and out-dated rules.

To give you a general idea, if you don't feel like checking out their website. Dancers are not allowed to stretch or practice at the venue. They should be stretched before they get there. Well, that's fine-- they should stretch beforehand... But if my girls have a dance at 2:00PM and their next dance isn't until 4:00PM-- do you expect that they're still warmed up?! No cheering, at all. Also, no loud clapping. No props allowed except the Song and Dance category. ...the list goes on.

Just looking for some personal experiences!

3 Replies to I Love Dance competition

re: I Love Dance competition
By headliners4u
On Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:49 PM
I took my dancers to this competition years and years ago. It was in Richmond VA. I don't remember us having any issues but what I do recall is that we didn't care for the atmosphere. It was in a ballroom of a hotel in downtown Richmond. Because of this, there was no stage and my dancers felt is was not as professionally ran like the comps we were used to. We usually go to the big ones in Northern VA like Hall of Fame, Starquest, etc
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Apr 11, 2016 01:17 PM
So, how did it go? Was it as ridiculous as the rules made it seem? A lot of those rules are probably unenforceable - what, do they pay someone to patrol the hallways and make sure no one stretches?!
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 13, 2016 04:09 PM
It was... Interesting.

The actual competition was held in the ballroom of a hotel. So the stage was just a section of flooring they put blue masking tape around. All the seats were on the floor about a foot in front of the beginning of the stage-- so we were up in these kids faces. The judges were on a platform directly in the center of the "stage".

The judges had no computers or audio recorders. They HAND WEOTE their critiques, which caused them to look down most of the time. The kids could stretch in the changing rooms, but once they got backstage it was a no go. They called kids back stage about 15 numbers before they had to be on... Which was confusing for them especially if their dance was on 5th, 9th, and 12th... Because they were trying to call students to be ready when they were backstage prepping for an earlier dance. Sometimes they were backstage waiting for as much as half an hour.

The "special awards" were clearly given to the studios with the most entries who go to the competition every year. So we got no special awards. Though most of our dances placed with their weird "we only give out 1st, 2nd and 3rd place" trophies.

The judges were given breaks every half an hour which caused us to not leave the venue until about 9:30PM on a school night. And we were an hour or so away from home... So our kids didn't get home until probably 10:30/11:00PM.

I didn't notice any disqualifications or illegal props, but I tend to only watch my dancers and not the whole competition.

The people running it were rude and curt to dancers and teachers alike.... Of course, unless they came every year. Then they were treated like gold.

The no cheering/clapping policy made for a really study environment. You could tell the kids dancing were uncomfortable especially when they did really cool moves and didn't get the applause they were used to. It felt like we were in church.

Long story short... We won't be going back.

ReplySendWatch