Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Highland - Adult Dancers
Strengthening Half Points
By happychick09 Comments: 553, member since Mon Aug 16, 2004
On Mon Apr 11, 2016 05:17 PM

Hi all!

Is there any way to strengthen half points or the feet/toes/arches to get stronger and higher half points? I have bunions which makes that gorgeous S-curve of the foot more difficult for me, I find that I often fall out of a half point and onto the ball of my foot.

Thoughts? Thank you!!

2 Replies to Strengthening Half Points

re: Strengthening Half Points
By highlandnorth Comments: 486, member since Sat Mar 21, 2009
On Fri Apr 15, 2016 01:32 PM
I see that no one has responded to this thread yet so I can try to give some advice - sorry if it is too simplistic for your needs. While there may not be a lot written in the highland world about strengthening feet, I think there is a lot in the Ballet world. In order to hold a half point you are going to need to have strong feet and ankles, similar to dancers preparing to go on pointe. If you go a quick google search of videos you can find a lot of exercises and play around with what works for you.
In terms of holding half points if you can get your foot in the S position try practicing open or closed pdb in front of a mirror. One of the big mistakes dancers make early on is straightening their front leg while beating during the pdb, which makes the foot and/or heel drop. For some people focusing on the knee instead of the foot during the beat helps.
re: Strengthening Half Points
By happychick09 Comments: 553, member since Mon Aug 16, 2004
On Sun Apr 17, 2016 09:23 PM
Highlandnorth - that makes a lot of sense. I don't think my knee pops up during the beat, but I know I often do not close my feet in close enough to hear the "swish" that should sound during the beat. I don't think I "sit" in a plie enough to balance myself which is why my feet don't get particularly close to each other (this is for closed pas de basques specifically). I drop down to the ball of the foot for balance and despite dancing for many years there just isn't enough strength in my feet to hold a half point.

Thank you so much for the advice! I really appreciate it!

If anyone else has any other tips and tricks I'll be over here working on my half-points.

ReplySendWatch