Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage
I had a problem with the butter I made last week.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Tue Apr 12, 2016 02:11 AM

You guys know I've made butter before. There is a post somewhere here about it. Something happened with my butter that I made last week.
The heavy cream was about a week or so after the expiration date but I am a super smeller and super taster. Believe me when I tell you that I tasted spoiled milk in my preschool classroom to let the teachers know the kids didn't just not want to drink it. Some of them used to complain a lot about having to drink milk. The taste lasted about half an hour on my tongue. There was nothing wrong with my heavy cream or so I thought. I used my hand mixer to whip the butter and it got yellow but I never got any buttermilk. It never separated and I used the mixer so much It was starting to get hot so I had to quit. I grabbed a jar with a tight fitting lid and put some in there & shook it up. Again nothing separated and my arms hurt! I have no idea what the heck happened but I ate some of it. It didn't taste the same as before but it wasn't bad. When I took it out today, I saw mold spots on my butter! I threw it all out.
Can anyone explain what could have happened? If it was spoiled, why didn't I notice it when I tasted it and why didn't it make me sick the few times I used it before I threw it out? I have to check out our Stop & Shop more closely when I buy things. I buy stuff and then notice it doesn't have long to go before the expiration date and it spoils. This expired 3 days after I bought it even though it didn't taste or smell spoiled when I used it a week or so later. I'm going to buy more cream but check the date very carefully. I don't want to have this happen again!

ReplySendWatch