Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage
What is a good substitute for walnuts?
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Tue Apr 12, 2016 02:24 AM

My sister has suddenly at 59 become allergic to walnuts. She said the last time she ate something with walnuts her tongue tingled and her lips started to swell up. She's never been allergic to them before 2015.
I have a ton of recipes with apple & other things like muffins or cookies or bars that use walnuts. What other kind of nuts can I use to replace walnuts in recipes? My sister loves when I bake but gets mad when she can't have any. She says other nuts don't effect her and I made her a nut mix for Christmas. I made sure it didn't have walnuts and she was able to eat it.

7 Replies to What is a good substitute for walnuts?

re: What is a good substitute for walnuts?
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Apr 12, 2016 04:15 AM
I usually just leave out the walnuts in recipes, they're expensive to buy here and I don't really miss them anyway.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Tue Apr 12, 2016 03:03 PM
You always can substitute pecans for walnuts.
By Claritinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2100, member since Tue Aug 30, 2005
On Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:56 PM
I'm allergic to walnuts and I prefer for them to just be left out of whatever recipe as opposed to subbing with something else. Depending on what you're making (cookies for example) you can always leave the nuts out of half the batch.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Thu Apr 14, 2016 01:26 AM
I never thought of leaving some of them out of the recipe, doing half with and half without. Good idea. I could leave them out too but I just thought since there are subs for everything, their must be one for this. We have a book of substitutions so I checked that and nothing. I knew you guys would come up with something. Thanks!
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Apr 15, 2016 08:52 AM
My tongue gets really painful when I eat walnuts AND pecans and tomatoes. I am don't think I an allergic but my tongue gets weird shapes on them when I eat it.

If she can't have walnuts, check and see if pecans also give her issues!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:47 PM
This lists all sorts of interesting ideas for substitutions for walnuts: www.reddit.com . . . -

Pecans were a popular one. But I'd be concerned with that, because if she's sensitive to walnuts, there's a chance she's allergic to tree nuts across the board, which would throw out pecans too.

Flax seeds were another interesting choice. Pine nuts were an option. Raisins, dates, craisins, even chocolate chips were thrown out there. Lots of interesting ideas.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Fri Apr 22, 2016 09:34 AM
If you want to keep the crunch, maybe add cocoa nibs?

ReplySendWatch