Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Ballet - Adult Dancers
Dancing at age 31 with Vitamin D defincency
By RUPaart Comments: 0, member since Sat Jul 23, 2016
On Tue Apr 12, 2016 02:54 AM

Hi am new to dance.net I have danced on and off for years ballet, modern, hip hop, Polynesian, ballroom and I stopped dancing for many years that last time I danced was when I was 26. Now I want to get back into ballet and my goal is to dance on Pointe but I recently found out that I am Vitamin D deficient I tested below 5 (Ive been lethargic but just dismissed it as in my head) and of course my concern is for my bone health and calcium levels because now that I'm older the last thing I want is an bad injury the last injury I had was a few years ago when I had a seizure behind the wheel. I was not hurt and no one else was thankfully but I suffered a sprained ankle. Does anyone else deal with Vitamin D deficiency right now I am taking a daily supplement of 4000 but I'm going to take a 5000 liquid D supplement so that it gets in my system faster. I have to do more blood tests to see if the dose of 50,000 ( one time emergency) he prescribed a week ago with 4000 daily to see if it took. Does anyone here deal with Vitamin deficiency?

3 Replies to Dancing at age 31 with Vitamin D defincency

re: Dancing at age 31 with Vitamin D defincency
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Apr 12, 2016 03:53 AM
I do and I have had numerous stress fractures because of it.

I now take suppliments and I get tested every year to make sure I stay on top of it. I also am very careful to only dance on sprung floor OR have very supportive shoes.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:47 AM
I have many times many more issues health-wise, but I dance four times a week, including pointe (although not much past advanced beginner pointe due to age). I am also much older than you.

Keep at it. It will help you both with your mental and physical state to keep dancing!
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Apr 16, 2016 09:09 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2016-04-16 09:18:10
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2016-04-16 09:20:47
For what it is worth, Vit D deficiency is the new de 'jur IN THING right now in medicine. Now everyone is being found to be Vit D deficient, including me. I've always had good constant blood work done my entire life, and this problem was never even brough up. About a year ago now my PCM decided to add a test for Vit D into my normal annual blood work, and sure enough, I was found to be Vit D deficient also.

I too am older than you are. My PCM told me they are now only starting to look at folks for it, because they now realize that as our society has changed/evolved, so many folks today just spend too much of their time indoors, trapped in their cubicles at work, in their cars commuting, or hermetically welded to their laptop on the couch at home--you get the idea. Next, my doc told me, with all the skin cancer awareness now going on, people are finally starting to get the message about it, and are finally doing what they are being told to do and are staying out of the sun. Finally, for a lot of us who live in the US in the south/southwest part of the country, global climate change has made it so it is getting not only hotter during the summer's but also for longer periods of enduring months heat ---so we have all now tend to stay inside with the a/c--which a person can not live without where I live.

I've been on the 1/week Vit D pill for over a year now, and my Vit D level still continues to stay at being slightly lower than normal. Being Vit D deficient has in no way effected my ability to participate in any of my adult ballet activities at all. Plus, now that it is spring and the temps are climbing already in to the high 80's, I intend to do more sun bathing on my nicer patio

So, get outdoor's - get out more sunlight, and take the Rx's it's really not that bad.

ReplySendWatch