Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Pointe - Beginners
Has anyone else felt this?
By baconblanket Comments: 0, member since Mon Jul 25, 2016
On Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:18 PM

I started pointe in the June of last year - And up to now, I have experienced the same problem.

My feet would get an awful numbing feeling. I know that most people say that it is normal upon beginning pointe, but after a few months, it still has not gone away. It's not one or two toes, but all, and it feels as if your foot has fallen asleep and is cramping. The pain starts from your toes, to the ball of your foot, and up into your ankle. I've informed my teachers, but I still have no received a good answer on why this is happening, or how to fix it. I've switched from Grishko, to Capezio (In which the box collapsed and shank snapped in half), to Russian Pointe, and then finally, to Suffolk, so it can't be the fit of the shoe, because I have experienced the pain with all. I have very flexible ankles and high arches, along with hyper-mobility, so maybe it might be a strength problem,? It's getting frustrating, since because of it, I'm falling behind in class.

Has anyone experienced this? Help?

5 Replies to Has anyone else felt this?

re: Has anyone else felt this?
By hummingbird Comments: 10418, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:56 PM
What padding have you tried?
On Wed Apr 13, 2016 04:45 PM
I use Bunheads Ouch Pouch; But have tried just taping them.
By Gracie220 Comments: 51, member since Tue Feb 24, 2015
On Wed Apr 13, 2016 05:53 PM
This is happening with both feet? How frustrating! That's so weird that it keeps happening even after you've tried several different brands of shoes. My first thought would be that the elastics were sewn too tight (I've had to re-sew mine a little less tight before), or the ribbons tied too tight, but you'd probably know if that was the case. It's a shame your teachers aren't more helpful in figuring out the cause of the problem, since they're able to see everything first-hand.
On Wed Apr 13, 2016 06:32 PM
Yes, it is both feet. I'm not sure what to do anymore - My teachers keep recommending new shoes and then leave it at that. I haven't heard anything else, and when I try to explain, they seem to just want me to deal with it.
re: Has anyone else felt this? (karma: 2)
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:30 PM
Time for a trip to the doctor. I had an advanced student who experienced something similar. Her feet kept going numb. It got to the point where they were staying numb even after she took her shoes off, sometimes for hours. Her shoes fit fine, her technique was good, I checked her feet, she wasn't over-doing it, etc. Turns out she had some pinched nerves. She had to go off pointe for a while, things healed up and she was ok after that.

ReplySendWatch