Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

CPYB summer Intensive Questions?
By Pokemom
On Thu Apr 21, 2016 01:23 PM

Hello! I have a few questions regarding the CPYB summer intensive. If you could answer them, that would be great!

1) What was your favorite experience at the program?
2) Did you notice improvements in your skill and technique?
3) Did you receive corrections and fair attention from your teachers? (At my studio, there is intense favoritism :( Sometimes we will only get 1 correction every three weeks, and I go 4x per week)
4) What is the schedule like on the first day? How do we bring our belongings to move into the dorms?
5) What color leotard do we wear to class?
6) Do we have pointe classes?

7) Are there vegan food options?
8) Do we need quarters for doing laundry?
9) Was it easy to make friends? (I'm afraid I don't know anyone who is going)
10) Are there some essential packing items that you recommend bringing?
11) How do the extra classes work; do we need to pay extra or sign up for them? (pilates, etc)
12) What was your least favorite thing about the program?
13) What activities are there on the weekends?

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions!

16 Replies to CPYB summer Intensive Questions?

re: CPYB summer Intensive Questions?
By S_H_A_O_
On Fri Apr 22, 2016 08:36 PM
Hi, I went to CPYB back in 2013, so Im'm not sure how much it has changed, but I will answer your questions to the best of my ability!

1) My favorite experience of the program was definitely meeting and making mew friends that were also dancers. CPYB was the first summer intensive I went to where I stayed away from home, so it was fun to meet other dancers and live with them.
2) Obviously being a dancer it's hard to truly see when your improve, but I definitely felt stronger. Even my teachers at my studio noticed a chnage in my technique.
3) The teachers were extremely fair when it came to giving corrections. They definitely favored the year-round students a bit more, but other than that, I always felt like I received plenty attention. The teachers really make a point to try to give corrections to everyone.
4) On the first day, there is usually a placement class sometime during the day, and then after that a tour is given of the campus/town. It's a pretty relaxed day. In terms of bringing your belongings, I just pulled up with a car and my parents helped me get settled. It usually only takes maybe 15 minutes to get everything into the dorm room. Obviously it takes a bit longer to really unpack and get settled in.
5) Most levels were only allowed to wear black. D levels and above could wear blue and the E levels could wear any solid color (no trim or other color on the leotard).
6) Most levels have pointe classes. I think only the four or five lowest classes don't have pointe, but I think some of them still did pointe at least once by the end of the intensive.
7) I'm not sure if there are vegan options, but I do know the cafeteria/store has A TON of food options, so I would be very surprised if there was nothing vegan offered.
8) Yes you will need quarters for laundry.
9) For me, it was very easy to make friends, and I'm not usually very good at making friends. Because of the amount of people there, it is very easy to meet someone who you will be friends with.
10) There wasn't anything I didn't pack that I wish I did. Some thing you may not think of packing that I would recommend is a desk lamp, a drying rack, and a rug. Other than that, most essentials could be bought on the on store campus or at the nearby Target/Walmart.
11) Yes, the extra classes must be paid for. You can get a class card with a certain amount of classes. I would recommend getting 10 classes, because that gives you the availability of taking 2 extra classes per week.
12) I think my least favorite thing was that there wasn't a big grocery/convienant store nearby. You could go on the Tarrget trips, but those would have to be arranged. You could also go to the on-campus store, but things would usually be fairly expensive and they didn't have EVERYTHING.
13) On the weekends there was class on Saturday and then on Sunday there would usually be a trip. While I was there we went on 3 trips, one of the always being Hershey Park which is very fun.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!
By MeaMSBMD
On Mon Apr 25, 2016 07:56 PM
Hi!! I'm glad you're interested in CPYB! I attended the five week summer program in 2013, 2014, and 2015 and I would highly recommend it to everyone!! I will try to answer all of your questions to the best of my ability. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to message me!!
1) What was your favorite experience at the program? My favorite thing was definitely the positive atmosphere. CPYB is full of kind, hard-working, motivated kids. You can't help but be inspired by your friends and classmates.
2) Did you notice improvements in your skill and technique? Definitely!!
3) Did you receive corrections and fair attention from your teachers? Year-rounders and students that the teachers know well get a lot of attention from year-round teachers. I definitely recieved a lot more attention in later years, where teachers knew me better. Still, they do a good job of making sure everyone is corrected and benefits from the class. that being said, it is to be expected that a correction given to one student in your class can most likely be applied to you, and so you should definitely pay attention to corrections given to your classmates as well as yourself.
4) What is the schedule like on the first day? How do we bring our belongings to move into the dorms? On the first day, you usually attend one of the june series performances. Before that, you go to the HUB at dickinson college to receive materials such as show tickets, welcome buffet tickets, dorm assignments, lanyards and keys, and placement class times. Your car can be pulled up to the dorms where you can unload your stuff. There are usually RAs and youth group members helping you move your things into your room. Then, you go on a bus to the june series performance, orientation and to the welcome buffet. Both june series and welcome buffet are optional, but i would highly recommend going to the june series. The orientation is mandatory for all students. There, Jason Reed, the director, explains all of the rules and expectations for students. It's actually very entertaining, Jason is hilarious but very strict. You're also usually introduced to Marcia Dale Weary and Pat Sorrell there. Then, you're transported back to the dorms where you will be introduced to your RA and hall mates, usually with some sort of team-building exercise. The next day (Sunday), placement classes are given and you are shown the parameters on which you are allowed to walk and travel.
5) What color leotard do we wear to class? Black leotards are worn in B and C levels. In D and levels, blue may also be worn. In E3 and E4 only, any solid color can be worn. Leotards must be simple, modest, and unadorned. Some teachers are more strict than others.
6) Do we have pointe classes? All D and E levels have pointe class every day. Most B levels have pointe once a week but not in the first week, some B levels have no pointe at all. Lower C levels have pointe twice or three times a week, or not at all, depending on the dancers in the level. The levels change based on what the dancers in the levels need to work on.
7) Are there vegan food options? There are vegan options for every meal. Most days, the KOVE (kosher vegan section of the dining hall) makes them in a separate kitchen that is strictly vegan. However, this section is closed on sabbath (friday evening and saturday). The vegan food there is quite good. I'm not vegan, but often would go to the kove to get something to eat. There is always a line! You can learn more about the kove here www.dickinson.edu . . .
8) Do we need quarters for doing laundry? Yes. Each washing machine and dryer requires $2.25 in quarters (this is five quarters). So, each time you do laundry, you will need 10 quarters per load. I always shared loads with my roommates. This allowed us to separate our laundry into categories such as colors, whites, and dancewear (each person would pay for one of the loads), this makes it much more manageable if you like to separate your laundry.
9) Was it easy to make friends? Absolutely!! Between roommates, hall mates, class mates, and just random kids you walk to class with, you would really have to try to avoid making friends. I've made some of the most amazing friends at CPYB over the years, many of whom were not even in my ballet classes. Shao, the previous commenter, was one of my very good friends my first year at CPYB :)
10) Are there some essential packing items that you recommend bringing? Definitely bring a drying rack unless you plan on drying your tights and leotards in the machines.
11) How do the extra classes work; do we need to pay extra or sign up for them? You can purchase supplemental class cards. I think they cost about $130 for ten classes. I recommend taking pilates, stretch, and supplemental ballet!
12) What was your least favorite thing about the program? Downtime between classes, which is unavoidable due to the expanse of the program and broad range of levels. There are 90 minute breaks in between each class, which is convenient when you have to eat lunch or dinner, but a shorter break would be better i think. I also wanted to address: I know that Shao said that she didn't like having no way to buy things that she needed without going on the guided target trips, but Shao was 12 the first year we went and was not allowed to go to walmart without an RA-guided trip. Students aged 14 and up are allowed to walk (with a buddy their age) to walmart, panera, sweet frog, a sports authority store, and a movie theater whenever they want or need. It's less than a mile from the dorms. Your age is displayed by the color of your lanyard. Those under 14 breaking the rules can be easily identified by the color of the lanyard, which is required to be worn at all times. Breaking these rules results in infractions and several infractions leads to being sent home (about one or two students are sent home due to breaking rules each year, there was one girl in my first year who was even expelled from her home ballet school after breaking rules at CPYB).
13) What activities are there on the weekends?
There is an activities package, which includes a trip to hershey park, a trip to sports emporium (laser tag/ arcade games/ go karting), and one other trip. Usually, the third trip is an IMAX movie, but once it was an NYCB lec/dem and another year it was a cave tour which was pretty sucky. It costs $210 to go on all three trips and, even if you decide not to go on one of the trips, you have to pay for all of them. Most people go, so if you don't you may be left without friends to do anything with. On days when there aren't trips, the church youth group sets up many activities such as water olympics, rootbeer float making, etc. There is a festival on the lawn one weekend where there is live music, carnival food, and games. Also, there is athletic center where you can go swimming, play basketball, run, play tennis, rock climb, etc. Marcia also has a pool at her house that you can use but you must wear a one-piece bathing suit. There are lots of cute restaurants and small book shops, boutiques, and the like. I would recommend eating at cafe bruges and helena's creperie and issei noodles at some point during your summer. There is a disproportionate amount of ice cream in carlisle, PA. you will most likely go out to eat ice cream A LOT (unless youre vegan, i guess :)) Leo's is the best with massey's a close second, but you must be signed out with someone to go to Leo's as it is technically out of bounds. There is also a dance shop owned by maria powers, who is lovely. I highly recommend visiting her. There are weekly raffles of ballet slippers, which i won three times :). I often visited the dance shop just to chat with Mrs. Powers. I was never bored during my summers, though it was tiny little idyllic carlisle where mostly old people live. (Im from DC). There is plenty to do if you know about it.
By panso18
On Thu Jun 16, 2016 09:15 PM
I'm so sorry I did not see this earlier! Sorry, I am a bit new to the dance net community and had some troubles with my account. Thank you so much for the helpful advice. This was just what I needed! Thanks again for the pointers :D
By panso18
On Thu Jun 16, 2016 09:17 PM
Once again, I'm sorry that I couldn't read your response sooner; I'm new to dancenet and had some issues with my account. Thank you for the tips and your experiences--I am so happy to have such specific insight on the program. Thanks for educating me on the summer intensive, it was so helpful!
By SydnieBallerina
On Tue Jul 12, 2016 09:45 PM
Hey! I'm Sydnie. I know I may be kind of late on this, and I'm a 3 1/2 weeks through a the program. I decided to answer your question right now, and then answer it at the end of the program as well. THESE ARE MY OPINIONS SO FAR.

1. My favorite experience so far at this program is getting to go to class and receive amazing training from these teachers. It may sound cliché, but there's nothing like the level of training and technique focus here.

2. I noticed improvements in my skill and technique the first two weeks here. I take private classes three times a week, so maybe it had something to do with that, but, I absolutely have noticed changes in my hips, plies, tendus, and passés.

3. I feel that the students who take Ballet seriously receive corrections. There is favoritism here, however, my experience with it is that it's just the sort of favoritism that you roll your eyes every couple of classes, not that you're really annoyed and fed up with it. There are a few students in my level who simply don't try. They get as many corrections as the "golden" children (my term from my home studio for favorites), and if you don't apply them, you may get less attention, as the instructors notice your lack of focus.

4. The schedule for the first dancing day depends on your schedule. Some girls have classes at 9:00, and others have classes at 10:30. I have class at 10:30 at the warehouse, so I wake up at 7:00 A.M. and eat at the HUB, come back to my dorm, and head to the warehouse. My class is from 10:30 A.M. - 12:00 P.M. Then, (if I private I take my private and eat a granola bar that I've packed) I go to the HUB at 12:05ish, eat until 12:45, and walk back to the warehouse at 12:50ish. I then have class from 1:30 - 3:00. After that, I hop on a bus that takes you to the Barn if you have classes there. You cannot walk there, as it is technically of campus. The CPYB provides a bus for all the dancers. It comes according to class times as there is a set schedule that you can get at the front desk. I have class from 4-5, have my private if I have one that day, ride the bus back to the warehouse, and then I walk to the dorms. If I have a private, I eat dinner in my room or borrow from friends. As I don't have privates everyday, I typically take the bus back to the warehouse at 5:10, walk to the HUB and arrive there at 5:30, and eat from 5:30 - 6:00. I walk back to the dorm from there. You move your belongings with the EDGE crew, which is a youth group at a nearby church that is designated to helping you on the first day move in.

5. B1-C9 wear black. D1-D9 wear blue or black. E1-E4 wear any solid color, with no crazy designs. All levels must wear normal leotards, such as Camisoles, cap sleeves, or tank. You can wear other toned-down designs as well.

6. Levels B6 and up have pointe. Prodigy levels (this year, they're C1, D1, and R
E2) and all the E levels have partnering.

7. There are vegan food options at the HUB, and there is a designated bar for that.

8. You do need quarters for laundry. It's $2.25 for washing, and $2.25 for drying.

9. Yes, it was pretty easy to make friends. Just stay away from most of the C1 girls (MOST, not all), as they're EXTREMELY snobby and condescending. Most D1s are nice, as they're mostly year round people.

10. Bring sunglasses, Birkenstocks, a hat, a raincoat, and an umbrella!

11. There are optional night classes for my level from 6:45 P.M. - 8:00 P.M. That is night class. The supplemental class cards for 10 classes are $130.00.

12. My least favorite thing about the program is the fact that they misplace dancers. I know so many talented dancers who were taken off pointe simply because their pictures weren't en pointe!

13. I'm not here on weekends since my mom comes into town and we stay in a hotel, howerer, if you purchased the activities package (which I didn't), you do many activities and field trips on weekends.

HOPE THIS HELPED!!
By SydnieBallerina
On Fri Jul 15, 2016 09:29 PM
Also, I wanted to add a little bit more on to the favoritism stuff. In the past week, I have noticed changes in the teachers. The instructors seem to be getting extremely comfortable. There's this one girl in my class. Let's just call her "K". So, K is from a very big ballet school, she can balance for 10 eight counts, she's attentive, focused, and has great placement. However, there are other talented students in my level who are actually equal to her and have more ballet-suited bodies that are not being paid attention to. K is asked to demonstrate a step or multiple steps in almost every single one of our classes. The teachers applaud her on everything, and it's incredibly frustrating because everyone else is doing it correctly to. There is a teacher who asks her to stand in the front of the room during turns so everyone can see who "amazing" she is. I am actually discouraged by this. I feel like not trying, because even when I do better than K, the teachers don't take notice. Maybe that was just my experience, but I thought you should be aware, as you pointed out that there is already seemingly enough favoritism at your home studio.
By nycb_ballerina2b
On Sat Jul 23, 2016 07:17 PM
Hi sydnie!

I have to disagree with you on the c1's being "stuck up" they are all nice girls and there is no reason to "stay away" from them, It may have been hard for you to be friends with them but other people still can.

now about favoritism, the favorites are the ones that work hard and show the teachers dedication in their ballet training. Everyone has their favorites and even though "k" always demonstrates it must be because of her work ethic. teachers just won't pick out random girls to be their favorites. If you want to be a favorite you need to work for it!😄
By MeaMSBMD
On Wed Jul 27, 2016 07:48 AM
To continue with what the previous commenter said, in my experience, many teachers at CPYB do single out students who work harder than others and give them more attention. This is especially true, in my experience, of Christina Hampton and Melinda Howe, who are both excellent teachers. If a student works hard or seems to be working hard, don't they deserve more attention than a student who seems more careless? My advice for those who are not the "favorites" is to focus only on themselves and try not to become jealous. If you're spending time and energy being frustrated about another student, you surely are not completely focused on your own work. As for the comment about the C1 girls, I understand how you could feel this way, but Shao (the first commenter) was one of the C prodigy girls who became one of my best friends during the program. Many of the BAE and year round CPYB students (who comprise most of the prodigy levels) can be stuck up, but by no means should you be advised to stay away from a certain group.
By MeaMSBMD
On Wed Jul 27, 2016 07:49 AM
To continue with what the previous commenter said, in my experience, many teachers at CPYB do single out students who work harder than others and give them more attention. This is especially true, in my experience, of Christina Hampton and Melinda Howe, who are both excellent teachers. If a student works hard or seems to be working hard, don't they deserve more attention than a student who seems more careless? My advice for those who are not the "favorites" is to focus only on themselves and try not to become jealous. If you're spending time and energy being frustrated about another student, you surely are not completely focused on your own work. As for the comment about the C1 girls, I understand how you could feel this way, but Shao (the first commenter) was one of the C prodigy girls who became one of my best friends during the program. Many of the BAE and year round CPYB students (who comprise most of the prodigy levels) can be stuck up, but by no means should you be advised to stay away from a certain group.
By SydnieBallerina
On Fri Jul 29, 2016 07:37 AM
That is not necessarily true. K was singled out, and she even admitted that she doesn't try her best because she is constantly exhausted from the workload. Many of the students worked 100 times harder than K. She barely sweat during every class. About the C girls, I had several C girls call me at, which is ridiculous because I'm at a below-normal weight for my height and age. My experience was that almost all of the C girls threw the "prodigy" thing in everyone's faces. I was purely giving advice to someone to be careful about some things. The C girls are very proud people.
By SydnieBallerina
On Fri Jul 29, 2016 07:41 AM
Did I not in all caps say: "(MOST, not all)"? I said most, so please kindly take the time to read the entire passage instead of skimming through it. Also, I did make some very nice friends, however, I was very focused on my dancing. Perhaps you weren't as focused, so you made more friends. I took 4-5 classes a day, so, I didn't have a lot of time to socialize.
By SydnieBallerina
On Fri Jul 29, 2016 07:46 AM
Believe me, I was a favorite in certain classes at CPYB. I did work very hard. Some teachers actually commented that I was one of the most hard-working students they'd ever taught. Mostly everyone at CPYB works hard. Maybe you didn't experience that in your level, but in my level, there were students from Royal Ballet School, JKO, MCB, Joffrey, Houston Ballet, Nutmeg Conservatory, BAE, and they were all extremely talented. Everyone worked hard in my class, and K was no different. And the girl from BAE was so much more talented than K. She worked harder, was just better, and she had the perfect body for ballet. The teachers seemed to just like the fact that K could balance.
By hummingbird
On Fri Jul 29, 2016 09:13 AM
I think we've got a little bit off track here, the question was about an intensive not who was the harder worker.
By SydnieBallerina
On Sat Jul 30, 2016 09:25 AM
I completely agree. I was simply giving advice that many people at the CPYB summer intensive gave me when I went.
By MeaMSBMD
On Sat Jul 30, 2016 03:18 PM
Sydnie, I didn't mean to say that you don't work hard and I apologize for it coming off that way. Having attended CPYB for four years, I have seen many students get frustrated with a dancer like "K" in their class. I was, I admit, perturbed by your advice to stay away from C1 students and felt the need to assure that they are not always condescending or stuck up, though you may have experienced that. I have been in a wide range of levels at CPYB, including D1, and have had varying experiences in terms of favoritism within my class. I hope you had a great summer. I know that my summers at CPYB were extremely beneficial and valuable in more ways than one, and I can't wait to return next year.
By SydnieBallerina
On Sat Jul 30, 2016 03:30 PM
No, it's fine. Obviously you're the person to talk to about CPYB; you seem to know a lot about the program. I'm sorry that I took it so personally. I just worked so hard at CPYB, and to have someone almost belittle what you've worked for for five weeks, its extremely degrading. I simply was advising someone so that they wouldn't have to be bullied, and I specifically noted that it was most but not all C1 girls. I had four/five friends in C1 who were extremely kind. Apology accepted.

ReplySendWatch