Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Ballet - Adult Dancers
Has anyone come back after a full Achilles tendon rupture?
By celticfeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4050, member since Thu Sep 30, 2004
On Sat Apr 23, 2016 06:54 AM

I ruptured my Achilles tendon almost three weeks ago. I'm wondering if anyone has returned to dance after this injury? From what I've read, the prognosis isn't good as the tendon strength is never quite the same. Just wondering about dancers' experiences. Thanks!

1 Replies to Has anyone come back after a full Achilles tendon rupture?

re: Has anyone come back after a full Achilles tendon rupture?
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:47 AM
I don't know any dancers personally, but I do know of A LOT of high level gymnasts (Olympic and/or College Scholarship level) have come from this injury so reading about their experiences and recoveries might be interesting to you. Of course, these athletes also had world class surgeons and rehab and coaching at their fingertips, but the amount of pounding they do is pretty incredible that they all came back to compete again. Off the top of my head:
Alicia Sacramone
John Orozco (twice)
Samantha Peszek
Courtney Kupets (twice)
Corrie Lothrop (twice)
Oksana Chusovitna (she just qualified to her 7th Olympics, yes you read that right, she's 40)
Samuel Mikulak (only partial tear)
Vanessa Zamarippa

A lot of these gymnasts did it twice and often it was the OTHER foot the second time so when you return to dance you'll want to make sure you aren't overcompensating for the injured leg or you could have two injured legs. That is something I would definitely talk to your doctors about as well. Good luck!

ReplySendWatch