Forum: Job Talk

Compensation for Recital Related Events
By californiadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 25, 2016 04:56 PM

Hi, I was just wondering how your studios went about compensating for recital related events that are outside of your regular class schedule (for instance picture days or rehearsals at the theater). Do you get paid your regular class rate or something separate? Are you compensated for all hours in attendance, for instance you have four classes over a span of 3 hours, do you get paid for all three hours or only the time slots for your classes if you cannot leave due to short time periods in between?

Just curious how other teachers are compensated during this time of year, as it ends up being a lot of hours outside of regular classes.

6 Replies to Compensation for Recital Related Events

re: Compensation for Recital Related Events
By turtletoeshoe
On Mon Apr 25, 2016 09:10 PM
I've recently worked at smaller studios where I'm assigned a position for dress rehearsals/performances (stage manager, runner etc) and am paid for the hours I'm there working. Never my teaching rate, but usually half that.

I also get paid a small flat rate for attending competitions as a teaching staff member. Basically, if they are going to require me to attend, I'm going to be paid, but I would never expect to be paid my teaching rate.

I've worked many years at many studios where there is zero compensation for attending multiple 12+ hour days (which is very degrading imo), so I'm very happy to receive what I do.
By hummingbird
On Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:12 PM
Same here, I get paid a non teaching rate, it's about the same as the admin staff get.
By californiadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:28 PM
Hi thanks for your responses, I'm not really asking specifically about the $ amount you get paid, more so the hours you are paid. For instance, if you have rehearsal from 1:00-5:00 and your dances are from 1:00-1:15, 1:30-1:45, 2:00-2:15, etc, are you only getting paid for the time slots your dances are onstage vs the total time you are there since you cannot leave during those in between times? So for the example above would you be paid for 5 hours? Or based on my short example just that one hour (each 15 minute time slot combined) etc

I'm just asking because I used to own a studio and I would pay my instructors for the total time there, however where I work now I only get paid for each short time slot even though I can't leave in between due to the short timeframe. I wanted to get an idea in general of how other studios navigate this.
By hummingbird
On Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:56 PM
For the rehearsal I get paid for my time there, as in rehearsal starts at 2.00 and finishes at 5.30, I get paid for three and a half hours work . If it's a competition, that's different, I get paid from the time the dancers are asked to be there, one hour before they dance until the end of their adjudication, normally this is between two and two and a half hours per group with some sessions having multiple groups in them. The only other way I've been paid was a flat rate for the full day per competition or rehearsal or recital day.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 26, 2016 09:17 AM
I pay my teachers their full teacher rate in the following way: They get one hour of teacher pay for each dance they have in the show. So if they have five dances, then they get five hours for dress rehearsal and five hours for recital. So it is not based on how long the show is (about two hours) or how long dress rehearsal is (about nine hours).
By SuncoastDance1
On Wed Jul 17, 2019 01:37 PM
I get paid my regular hourly rate for the entire time I am at the venue working. This is for rehearsal and recital.

ReplySendWatch