Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Major Help/Advice Needed!
By headliners4u
On Mon Apr 25, 2016 07:36 PM

Sooooo, I have an instructor who has suddenly quit with absolutely no notice what so ever. Like I mean no phone call, no text or email. Nothing. Just didn't show up for class today. I'm thinking she quit suddenly due to her being habitually late and calling out as of recent. I tried to call her (after I got done teaching her classes) and she didn't answer. I left a message and haven't heard a word from her. I don't know why I'm surprised considering one of my other instructors worked with her at another job and from what she told me about 1 month ago, it happened there too. She suddenly quit with no notice or explanation

Here's more of the situation...our recital is next weekend and the classes she teaches are babies (ages 3-4) and little girls (ages 5-6 and ages 7-8)! These dancers are directed by the instructor at our recital and she didn't even have an assistant. No one knows these dancers recital pieces! They don't even really know them! I've stepped up to take over her classes but we they only have one class left after this week!

How do I even tell the parents of these dancers?! I'm not even sure what to say! I was thinking of emailing all of them but I'm not sure if that is an appropriate way to tell them. And again, I'm not even sure what to say!

Please, anyone with advice or input...HELP!!!!!!!!

8 Replies to Major Help/Advice Needed!

re: Major Help/Advice Needed!
By hummingbird
On Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:19 PM
The 7-8 year olds should know their dance, so should any kids of about 6 it's your tinies that will be lost. Is there any way you can get a couple of extra classes with them and do a very basic dance with at least the same music. I would definitely explain why this is having to be done to the parents, the teacher has dropped everyone (especially he youngest students) in it up to their necks.
By headliners4u
On Tue Apr 26, 2016 05:05 AM
I was thinking of adding some extra classes for the girls. Especially the 3-4 year olds but maybe even the others too.

I cannot believe this is happening! How/why could someone do this to CHILDREN!?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 27, 2016 01:00 PM
I have a friend, let's call her Susie. Susie is a good friend, but in your friendship with Susie, you always have to keep in mind that she's very self-serving - every one of your interactions with her, she views through the filter of "What can this do for ME?". If the answer is nothing, then she'll flake out, or bail, or do it, but really half heartedly.

Sound like anyone you know? She didn't do it TO the kids, or even really because of the kids. She did it because knowing you was no longer doing anything for her.

Anyone between 5 and 8 ought to know enough of their dances that you can piece together the missing pieces. The preschool set, that's going to be a different matter. I'd delicately explain to their parents - WITHOUT badmouthing her, as much as you might want to - that she no longer works there, and that you're going to take over their classes. You're going to have a couple extra classes with the kids to make sure they're familiar with you, and trust you, but everything's going to go great (STRESS that part, even if you don't believe it...).

A few years ago, we had a teacher quit a few weeks before recital. She'd been flaking pretty hard on her classes for a long time. I said more than once that I felt like she was spending the year baiting our SO, trying to figure out what had to happen to get fired. So it finally worked, she was finally let go. I could count the number of parents that noticed that she was gone on one hand. I remembered an old trick that I learned when my dad was laid off from a job. All they'd say about my dad was "He no longer works here.", so I repeated that when talking about this teacher - "She no longer works here." with a big smile. No one asked a single question, and I got to take the high road.
re: Major Help/Advice Needed! (karma: 1)
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 27, 2016 02:51 PM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2016-04-27 15:04:53 more
Are there any parents who happened to video a practice?

Can you send her a msg that you will withhold her last paycheck until you at least get her dance notes?
By headliners4u
On Tue May 10, 2016 10:50 AM
Update: I did take over the 3 classes of dancers (a total of 5 dances) and was able to piece together their choreography enough to make it presentable. Now, the ages 3-4 just had to learn a whole new dance but managed to do very well. We just had our recital on Sunday. About 10 min before the show was to start I was coming out of the stage entrance and guess who I saw? The instructor who quit! I told her to turn right around and leave. She refused. She said she was "here for her girls". She did eventually leave when my husband said he'd call the police. I found out later that just before I saw her, she'd already been in the dancers dressing room to see them. UMMMM,I guess she thought she deserved a victory lap?
By StepdancerPremium member
On Tue May 10, 2016 07:01 PM
"Her girls"? Oh, please. They're only "her girls" when she feels like it. Glad you called her on it, and further glad you threatened to call the police. The nerve of some people!
By headliners4u
On Wed May 11, 2016 06:37 AM
It was VERY strange! She was smiling like a Cheshire cat the entire time and told my 6 year old daughter to "Have a great show and break a leg". I wanted to break HER neck!lol
By hummingbird
On Wed May 11, 2016 07:18 AM
What exactly did she think she was going to do for 'her girls' after walking out of her classes and not leaving anyone with notes, hadn't she done enough already?

It sounds like you handled the situation very professionally, unlike her.

ReplySendWatch