Forum: Adults / Adult Dancers

Acro as an adult beginner?
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 26, 2016 01:36 AM

I'm looking to mix up my routine, I've done the same classes my whole life. I'm getting lazy and I want to try something new, looking at what's available in my area there isn't lot for adults but I've spoken with a couple of studios one said I can join their senior classes and I was thinking of trying acro but has anyone done that? I'm 28 and haven't done acro before I'm worried it's one of those things you can really only learn as a child, has anyone started as an adult? How did it go?

4 Replies to Acro as an adult beginner?

re: Acro as an adult beginner?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 29, 2016 06:21 PM
I've had this same conversation quite a few times over the years. Adult acro classes are nearly nonexistent. But if you can find a class with a good teacher, there's no reason not to give it a try. Sure, you're never going to be an olympic gymnast. But as long as you have reasonable expectations, you should definitely go for it.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Fri Apr 29, 2016 08:41 PM
They had acro classes for adults at the circus school I was in.

I have to say, it is a lot scarier to go upside down so the starting curve is a lot higher. Once you overcome your upside fear, things move a bit quicker.

If there is a class, go for it!
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:22 PM
How are you defining "acro" in this case? Do you mean a tumbling class, or would it also include things like partner stunting and such? I've found in the dance world acro can have a lot of different meanings.
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Apr 30, 2016 01:51 AM
I decided to be brave and just go for it, it's mostly conditioning and stretching working up to some skills. I did cartwheels and forward rolls for the first time in probably twenty years but I still can so that's awesome. I mastered a foreword roll when you jump into it but wasn't brave enough to try a one handed cartwheel although I have practised in my garden and have now got it on one side.
If the class was further ahead I don't think I would have felt comfortable but there were a lot of new students and the class hasn't existed that long so no-one is that far yet.
And the skills we are working towards are things I've always wished I could do like walk overs.
So yeah all good! I've got more fear of injuring myself than the younger people but I'm doing it anyway.

ReplySendWatch