Forum: Advice / Ask a Parent

Ask a Parent
Dancing with illness. I need help.........
By anna_p Comments: 0, member since Sat Aug 06, 2016
On Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:58 AM

So I have P.O.T.S and possibly arthritis....my neurologist is sending me to a rheumatologist. My mother is also I'll so my neurologist thinks its genetic. Anyway I'm a late teenager who got involved with dance2 years ago.I'm told I am very talented. I love dance with all of my heart and could not bear having to stop dancing. My body just gives out after doing a class.I get a lot of pain in my joints and muscles. I am skinny so technically I am healthy. I am the type of dancer who doesn't know when to quit. I wish I could practice for hours and hours but my body keeps telling me no.I don't know what to do about this. My mind and body are so conflicted. My parents made me stop dance for 2 months because I was in so much pain. It sent me into depression. I cried more than I ever have. I want to dance as part of my career and I'm very dedicated. I makes me mad because the girls in my class don't even care about dancing. They're only there because their parents made them. What should I do???

3 Replies to Dancing with illness. I need help.........

re: Dancing with illness. I need help....
By Iamalittlefishie Comments: 707, member since Sun Jul 02, 2006
On Thu Jun 02, 2016 02:08 PM
I danced for most of my chiodhood/teen years and I am type 1 diabetic so I know how you feel about wanting to dance but your body says no. Your #1 friend is your doctor. Tell her that being able to dance is very important to you, and ask what your management options are-- to help prevent or help recover faster from the symptoms that are limiting you.

I am not a professional dancer, but I still dance for fun as an adult and took classes through college. For me, no longer dancing at a pre-professional school was a great opportunity for me to find other things I am good at and like.

It probably sounds aweful to you right now, but I promise you that you don't have to give up dance just because you tone down the pace a little. Take acting or singing classes (hello Broadway!), volunteer to help teach young kids dance, learn how to play the piano or sew ballet costumes or make tiaras. You can be completely within the dance world while maintaining your health. I know it sucks to hear it or to even imagine you might have a physical limitation. It's not that you can't overcome it, or that you aren't strong. I'll give you some advice that a dance mom gave me when she caught me crying outside the studio waiting for my mom to pick me up-- best ballet advice ever!

Every once in a while, take a step back and ask yourself if you are still having fun. If you are not, you know what you need to do. Is the pain worth the fun? If you find that you have more negative feelings than positive ones about the whole process of taking classes, you should slow down a little. And don't lie to yourself about your answer! :)

Good luck!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Jun 05, 2016 09:05 PM
Sometimes, dreams take a funny shape. You don't get there on the path you thought you would, or maybe the dream you thought you had falls apart, and you find something better on the way. Maybe you'll design costumes. Maybe you'll teach dance to babies rather than be a professional performer. Maybe you'll choreograph for theatre companies. Who can say? There's a wide enough array of jobs that you can have and be connected to dance, don't close your mind to any of the opportunities, just because they weren't the opportunity you were hoping for. Keep your eyes open, and your head held high.
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:33 PM
to make a long thing short, I live with pain every day. I have fibro, among other things. I hear you all too well what with being in a depression when you can't dance. I feel digging pain and I experience depression every day.

Have you seen the rheumatologist yet, or have you found someone who specializees in POTS? Have you tried researching the syndrome/condition? I find myself constantly doing research, as more research is being done on these particular areas. The more information I found, the more I was empowered to take my condition/situation as a challenge, and act accordingly. I miss running and doing 5ks. I've gained a heck of a lot of weight. I've found that my doctors pass the buck on me, and try to get another one of my doctors to take the responsibility of making that all-to-important call. Also, I find that many of my doctors don't interact/communicate, or review my case before they see me. As a result, I've sort of fallen through the cracks. And, I'm pretty much left to my own devices. Which is a mixed blessing.

Number 1: I don't rely on opoids. I try to stay away from them as much as possible. 2, I try to work with muscle gels and creams, muscle liniments. Sometimes my body wants warm to hot, sometimes it wants icy-hot, etc. Also, I try to stay on the lowest dose of a painkiller as possible. I have a reaction to ibuprofen, and 500 mgs of Tylenol have too much sodium for me, whereas, what I've read of your condition www.google.com . . . it seems as if you NEED more sodium, more fluids?

I've also researched what meds I'm on, and what meds my body can work with. I take a muscle relaxant when things get too tight, too humid (which really brings on the aches), or too painful. Have you researched acupuncture/pressure to see if it could help? And/or massage?

There are times when I am very tight, when my fibro is horrible, and I WANT to dance. Well, doing gentle movements, working each muscle area, moving it carefully, almost akin to yoga, can help to loosen it up. I also make a point of doing a warm up and a cool down. Believe me, this is no substitution for a run, or for a few hours of percussive dance, which I love so much, but it IS dance!

Hope this helps.

~Shadow~

Sometimes I find that the surface I'm dancing on is just too hard, so, I look for a place that has a sprung floor.

??

S.

ReplySendWatch