Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

need advice on performance options that are not competition
By dancingwithhope
On Tue May 03, 2016 12:56 PM

I would love some advice. I am working on ending my competition participation with my dance team. I still want to have an advanced team, I just think there have to be more opportunities for performing and learning. I have been in touch with Disney about performing there, but does anyone have any other ideas. We will continue with the nursing homes and local fairs but looking for new ideas! Thank you in advance for any help!

5 Replies to need advice on performance options that are not competition

re: need advice on performance options that are not competition
By stargaze
On Tue May 03, 2016 10:22 PM
My studio is Community oriented...we dance at Parades, local shows etc. We also do a "Performance" class which means students sign up and participate in Prop creation as well as the Opener/Finale number for Recital.

We are actually doing Disney in 2017...you can have a successful studio without being comp oriented!! Reach out locally for performance opportunities. We have also performed at the Library. Can you touch base with schools?
By dancingwithhope
On Wed May 04, 2016 10:01 AM
Thank you so much for your help!! I believe we can do this without competition!! I had not thought of schools or libraries. I will definitely get in touch with them.
Thank you
By kcampb7
On Sun May 08, 2016 01:50 PM
We decided to exit the competition world about 4 years ago and have not regretted that decision. However, we did have a drop in the number of older students who wanted to perform more than a few times a season. We are starting a half-time performance team, open to all studio dancers. These dancers will learn routines specially for basketball courts or large dance floors and we are reaching out to the local high school & college Athletic departments for opportunities. fingers crossed :)
By dancingwithhope
On Mon May 09, 2016 06:05 PM
I am so thrilled to hear that you don't regret it. I really want this to be great and I accept that I will have to build from the ground up. Right now, I am doubting myself because of the guilt trips and tears from the kids who don't want to go.....but want to perform more. UGgg I wish I had a magic ball.
It's also hard for me to plan what we will be able to do since I have no idea how many will stay?

All That just to say, thank you so much for feedback. Makes me feel better about it.
By vfdtPremium member
On Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:10 PM
I have never used the "comp" vs. "rec" school designation, as Competitions are not that popular at dance schools in this area. However, we are in a hot spot for Comps, where further out studios like to come near us (thanks to our popular Mall.) Therefore, I've taken my preteen class (all are invited) to ONE nearby Comp a year, at no cost to them. We do only ONE annual fundraiser to cover their entry fees, and use our recital costumes and choreography. It's a lot of fun for the kids, parents attend for free, and since it's nearby, we just pop in right before we're due. We're not in it to win it, just another chance to perform on a stage.

ReplySendWatch