Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe shoes gaping on Demi pointe
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 04, 2016 10:49 AM

Hi I have some new pointe shoes and a problem I have never encountered before.
On flat the shoes look fine and also on pointe but when on Demi pointe the fabric gapes a little around the foot. I've taken some picture I hope show the problem.
I have the draw string pulled tight, I did use pointe snaps to attach my ribbons rather than sewing them. Maybe that would solve the issue?
I was also wondering if it was because the shoes are too wide? I've had this width before but half a size smaller, these felt and looked good in the store it wasn't until I was breaking them in that I noticed this.
Has anyone had the same problem and how did you fix it?
Thank you xx

11 Replies to Pointe shoes gaping on Demi pointe

re: Pointe shoes gaping on Demi pointe
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Wed May 04, 2016 04:03 PM
Try sewing the ribbons all the way up to the drawstring liner. Mine don't gap when they are sewn like that.
By hummingbird
On Thu May 05, 2016 08:25 AM
The shoes look like a good fit from your pictures but I agree with serendipity42 sew the ribbons on up to the draw string and then the fabric won't bag so much.
By cara7
On Sun May 08, 2016 02:13 PM
Edited by cara7 (260547) on 2016-05-08 14:13:52
Hello! What really helped me is to buy a blunt bodkin needle and replace the cotton drawstring by an elastic one, simply buy an elastic cord in appropriate thickness (sewing supplies), rip out the cotton drawstring and push through the new elastic one with the bodkin needle... I actually never had any gaping issues with elastic drawstrings... hope this helps, good luck!
PS:
By cara7
On Sun May 08, 2016 02:32 PM
PS: That's what a bodkin needle looks like..
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 08, 2016 02:46 PM
Thanks, I hadn't heard of it before. I have some elastic I saved from an old pair of shoes I can use.
By cara7
On Mon May 09, 2016 04:18 AM
Hello again! GREAT, then you won't have to worry about buying the elastic cord. With this kind of needle it is no effort to replace the drawstrings, it's really easy to push the elastic cord through. I found such a bodkin needle on ebay, but sewing supplies should also carry them :)

Hope it works for you, too!
By Gracie220
On Mon May 09, 2016 09:23 AM
Cara7, thanks for sharing! I love elastic drawstrings, but the few shoes that fit my feet best all have cotton. I can't wait to try this and "personalize" my shoes! :)
By taxi4ballet
On Fri May 13, 2016 01:09 PM
I'm not an expert by any means, but actually, I don't think the shoes fit you all that well - the vamp is too long and is digging into the top of your foot on demi-pointe, the wings come too far up the sides of your feet and the sides of the shoes look too wide and deep for you. All of which are probably causing the gaping you are having trouble with.

What make/model of shoes are they, and can you post a picture of your bare feet on the flat, on demi and pointed?
By dncermama
On Thu May 19, 2016 09:20 AM
I have to agree with Taxi4ballet.
By wkde
On Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 PM
I agree with taxi4ballet...they do look a bit big. Just do more research. A note from 'old school' notes -- pointe shoes are supposed to be snug, if there is any gaping, you could injure yourself.
Aside from that, defiantly take everyone's opinion into consideration.
By wkde
On Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:23 PM
Oh, also, what size shoe do you normally wear {street size}?
I wear a 7 street, but a 4 M.....I can use a3 1/2 M as well.

ReplySendWatch