Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Does darning level out uneven platforms?
By cara7
On Sun May 08, 2016 12:32 PM

Hi there,

I have never darned pointe shoes before and would like to know from those of you who do if it can help to level out an uneven & wobbly platform? If so, would it be enough to to darn around the edge of the platform, or would I have to darn across the whole surface of the platform?

Thanks!

4 Replies to Does darning level out uneven platforms?

re: Does darning level out uneven platforms?
By hummingbird
On Sun May 08, 2016 07:03 PM
I've done both in the past, I found it was easiest to darn by weaving across the flat of the box, just like you would darn a sock with a hole in it and then blanket stitch around the edge of that. This would also give a good deal of sound inflation to the block, back in the day this used to be very important.
By cara7
On Mon May 09, 2016 04:26 AM
THANKS for the explanation! But would you say that it also helps to make an uneven platform more stable? I have one pair which actually should be extra flat, but as it is handmade (I obviously got a bad pair), it feels wobbly and uneven (I am used to very flat platforms, like Russian Pointe or Grishko) :(
By hummingbird
On Mon May 09, 2016 06:58 AM
Yes it does, I've used it for this before now, it can also help make a platform flatter if you find it's too rounded.
By cara7
On Mon May 09, 2016 07:04 AM
OK, many thanks for this info :)

ReplySendWatch