Forum: Competitions

Any competitions with no levels/divisions?
By ChasingDreams
On Fri May 13, 2016 11:45 PM

I was wondering if anyone on here knew of any competitions that do not have any levels/divisions. I am not talking about age divisions,competitions need those. The kind I am talking about are for example: Intermediate, Rising, and Elite. I made those up but you get the point.

I know ADA doesn't have them and I like that competition. Are there any others? It seems like all competitions these days are doing it. I just don't like it because I believe that every dancer should be against everyone. If they are not very good then they don't deserve to win. If you put them in the lowest level, they could win when they do not deserve it. I feel like competitions didn't used to do this but now a days everyone's doing it.

If someone could give me examples of some that do not have these divisions, that would be greatly appreciated. Also, if there are none that I am talking about, please tell me! Lol

9 Replies to Any competitions with no levels/divisions?

re: Any competitions with no levels/divisions?
By hummingbird
On Sat May 14, 2016 09:22 AM
Are you saying that a kid who dances two hours a week should be as strong as one who dances ten hours a week? Or a dancer who's been doing ballet for one year is going to be as technically advanced as one who's been dancing for five years? Because that's just not going to happen and that's why there are divisions.

I run a competition and I know I wouldn't get many entries if we didn't make a difference for years of study and levels of commitment.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 14, 2016 07:37 PM
Glad I don't have to have the conversation where your beginners are crying and disappointed cause they got pounded into the pavement by the advanced dancers, and you shrug and go "YOU DIDN'T WIN CAUSE YOU DIDN'T DESERVE IT, YOU'VE ONLY BEEN DANCING SIX MONTHS AND THEY'VE BEEN DANCING 10 YEARS, WHY AREN'T YOU BETTER?!" Splitting by experience is necessary. If everyone does it honest, it works. If you want everyone to be seen as equal, perform in the community, don't compete.
By ChasingDreams
On Sat May 14, 2016 08:20 PM
LISTEN! I'm sorry, i don't know why you have to be so mean about it. People cheat ALL THE TIME and put their advanced kids in the lower levels. I was just saying that if they are not so great then they shouldn't win. If you put them in the low divisions then they could win without trying hard. How are they supposed to be challenged? I was wondering if you guys knew of any competitions that don't have them. I even said ADA doesn't have them and they get plenty of entries. I used to compete at competitions that didn't have them it was great but now those competitions have added them. You are acting like I'm a bad person. Plus, if kids who haven't danced for long CRY because they didn't won then they are being sore losers.
By kr_WDance
On Sun May 15, 2016 04:04 AM
I see your point ChasingDreams. Comps nowadays are all about give every kid a trophy-- or no lower than a high gold. And I know so many studios that enter their kids in a lower level so they can put platinum on their website. I would rather see my kids lose to better dancers than feel entitled to get a platinum every time. I understand having a novice and competitive division, but I think the intermediate is where it gets iffy and you have amazing dancers in that category or not enough entries in the competitive division because so many people have entered the lower division.

I will have to research, but l will let you know if I hear of any!
By ChasingDreams
On Sun May 15, 2016 05:24 AM
Thank you so much for responding nicely! Lol. You totally understood what I was saying. I have done a bit more research and have found that there really aren't any competitions that don't use levels except for maybe just local ones. Oh well. But seriously, thank you for understanding what I was trying to say!!!
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Sun May 15, 2016 04:58 PM
I see what you are saying. There are some studios who put elite kids into the lowest level category in order for them to win.

It sucks, because it feels that even as a "lower level" competitor, you end up being wiped at the competition due to elite kids cheating. Then you feel even worse, because losing in the beginner category feels like even more of a loss than the elite category. ( If a student lost in the easiest category, they may feel like they aren't even good enough for the lowest level)

Even if competitions say that they have a right to move numbers to upper levels, they never end up doing it.

If you have an issue with lower levels winning in their category, you can always just put your students in the top category. That way if they win, they won at the highest level. And you don't even need to worry about how the lower levels placed. They would be the fairest way. Just pretend the top level is the ONLY level and just ignore the rest.
By ChasingDreams
On Sun May 15, 2016 07:29 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Thank you YumYumDoughnut! :)
By DCOM
On Mon May 23, 2016 02:10 PM
NYCDA
Jump
NUVO
Hollywood Vibe
Dance Masters
By ChasingDreams
On Mon May 23, 2016 07:34 PM
Thank you DCOM!

ReplySendWatch