Forum: Arts / Games

Games
What happened to all our games? (karma: 1)
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sat May 14, 2016 06:53 PM

I haven't had a message from any of the games in quite a while. I went on the games board and all of our games are inactive! Does no one want to play anymore? I want to set them all up again because I miss playing them but if no one else wants to play then I won't do it. I miss playing the games and I am going to miss all of you. Please send me a message letting me know what you want to do. I miss you guys and I miss these games. Sob!

22 Replies to What happened to all our games?

re: What happened to all our games? (karma: 2)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat May 14, 2016 08:10 PM
Linh, the owner of DDN is making some technical changes. He also solicited some suggestions from the membership and among the suggestions is that the games be put in their own category, but not listed on the "hot" pages. He was still evaluating that suggest last time I saw a comment on it. One thing that happened in these changes is that some recent Karma disappeared, though he said it would be restored. Restructuring a website as big as DDN is not a trivial matter as anyone who has worked even at the periphery of IT can testify. I didn't do any of the software, I just solicited requests for new systems at my workplace (from since I'm long retired), obtained justification and money for the projects and then turned them over to real computer experts. But even at that distance, I was aware of the difficulties involved.

Jon
re: What happened to all our games?
On Sat May 14, 2016 08:44 PM
I didn't know any of this was going on. Is there a reason they are doing this anyway? What was wrong with the way this web site was working? You know the if it ain't broke don't fix it? What do you mean about a separate place for the games? It's under Arts and is called Games. Sorry, I'm just someone who doesn't like change and I am seeing a lot of it in my life. I hadn't heard from anybody which is why I asked. The games challenge my mind and sometimes I need a challenge. Thanks for letting me know though.
re: What happened to all our games? (karma: 1)
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sun May 15, 2016 09:03 AM
Glad folks like playing them but VERY glad they are not on the hot page any more.
On Sun May 15, 2016 10:13 AM
Oaky, I'm guessing I am not very computer literate or DDN literate but what is the Hot Page? I see Main, then Hot. Is that what you mean? I can't remember the last time I accessed that page so I had no idea it was on there. Is it staying where it is for now under Arts? Can I redo the games again so it's not saying they are to old to play anymore? Am I the only one whose confused over this? I miss playing and I want to get back.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun May 15, 2016 07:17 PM
Just jump in under the "ARTS" tab...

I am sorry to say, or happy to say, depending on POV, that I am thrilled to see Games moved off the hot page. Between the items for sale and games, there was NOTHING of interest on the hot page, many times.

I too was discouraged to see the karma vanish, as it was one of the few "fun", engaging parts of DDN left, but now that the hot page is actually restored to topics of interest to many more people, I must say I'm glad.

Sorry to all those who disagree... but it is much more fair that the five members who play games do a "click" than the rest of the membership have to load several pages to find a discussion forum. In my humble opinion, that is...

All that said....I'm going to try to give away all my available karma for the next week in hopes of re-capturing some of the glory days of DDN. Post something fun, interesting,kind, or anti-Trump, and the karma fairy will visit. xooxoxo

Keep On Dancing*
On Sun May 15, 2016 08:22 PM
No one seems to understand what I am saying. I can't play any games at all because they are all 85 days past when we last played. I know the last time I played a game was 2 weeks ago, not Feb. but they all say Feb. so none of us can play anymore. What I want to know is should I start them all up again? I can't play by myself and I don't want to. If no one is going to play, then I won't start them up again. What should I do?
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1263, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Mon May 16, 2016 07:27 AM
In the upgrade of the site to make improvements, some issues on the back end (the hidden innards of the site that make it function) happened, and Linh had to load an older version of the site so that it could still be up for people to use. Unfortunately, there have been some minor consequences to pulling that older version - karma vanishing, and I know that some diaries got tagged as inactive, so likely the same thing happened with games. Linh made the choice of having the ENTIRE site go down while he works on the hidden innards we can't see, or have most of it function with some minor quirks.

This site is older than some of its members, and Linh is working hard to upgrade the functionality of the site so that it plays better with advancing technologies (tablets, mobile phones, etc.), so that we can all continue to enjoy it for years to come. Why not use this time as an opportunity to start a new game thread in the meantime? I'm sure he appreciates your patience while he tries to clean everything back up, and he'll likely see this thread and make a note to reactivate the old game threads when he can.
On Mon May 16, 2016 07:33 AM
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm not very computer literate although compared to some people like my mom, I'm a genius! LOL I will start up some of the games again and maybe think of a new one or 2. Right now I can't think of any new ones and some of the games are mine on DDN. I could just start a few of the old ones and see how that goes. I hope those who used to play will play again.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon May 16, 2016 08:33 PM
My diary is unusable as a result of these issues. Trying to wait it out, but it's really sad because this made me realize that my diary is about the only thing I really do on DDN anymore. Sigh...

kk~
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Mon May 16, 2016 09:13 PM

^You need cheering up right and left.
By dancedeb Comments: 32224, member since Sun Jun 27, 2004
On Tue May 17, 2016 09:47 AM
I am one of the few who play the games. Hope we can continue it somehow. I miss it! I do understand why many become annoyed at it showing up on the Hot page though.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue May 17, 2016 11:53 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2016-05-17 11:54:42
They should be usable now, I bumped the threads.

When Linh had the glitch it managed to lose some data and as a result the dates were beyond our limit for replying to threads.

Let me know if this isn't working and I'll see what else can be done.

I'm sorry to the rest of you who posted that you don't like the games but they're going to be back on the hot page now.
On Tue May 17, 2016 10:05 PM
I tried to play tonight. They all say May 17 but when I clicked on the game, it said Feb. 20 and it said I was the last one to play when Britney's Grandma is listed as the last one to play. If I play, won't that be considered Star Farming? I think that was what it was called. You fixed it but it's not really fixed. Now what? Oh yeah, love the colored Twizzlers. I love colors which is why I love rainbows and that's what these remind me of. Thanks!
On Tue May 17, 2016 10:15 PM
Okay, they aren't twizzlers but they are hard candy sticks now that I really look at them. I am able to play some games and thanks for that. The ones that I can't play all have Britney's Grandma on them as being the last player but when I go to play, I'm last. I'll wait until those get fixed. Thanks for doing this!
On Wed May 18, 2016 08:03 AM
I mean the data was the posts, that's what got lost. Answering the game posts now isn't going to be star farming.
On Wed May 18, 2016 09:57 AM
If it says on the left side that Britney's Grandma was the last to play but when I click on the last page and it says I was the last one to play because it still says Feb. then I am playing, according to the boards twice, one right after the other. Isn't that then Star Farming?
On Wed May 18, 2016 12:38 PM
Not in this case.
By kinsidhe Comments: 248, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Wed May 18, 2016 01:19 PM
There you go SoloJazzDancer! I just replied/played some of the games so you wont be answering yourself now. Hope that helps! :)
By dancedeb Comments: 32224, member since Sun Jun 27, 2004
On Thu May 19, 2016 11:32 AM
I've been trying to play, but the last posted dates still say February. Any advce?
On Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 PM
Sadly all my recent replies seem to have disappeared. Best laid plans....
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Thu May 19, 2016 12:50 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2016-05-19 12:51:14
If you click on your star, you can see them in your history. But, they are not showing in the threads.

kk~
On Thu May 19, 2016 04:09 PM
Ha! It's like different time continuums! When you click upon a Star..., you can see just when you Are!!!

ReplySendWatch