Forum: Adults / Adult Dancers

Adult Dancers
adult wants to go en pointe
By Jenerator Comments: 287, member since Fri Jun 04, 2004
On Tue May 17, 2016 04:59 AM

51 year old ballet dancer of 12 years here. Have been told i can try pointe but having trouble finding shoes to fit. I'm on holiday in New York (from Australia) and wanted to buy shoes while I'm here as they're so much cheaper. Have tried Grishko and Sansha (where they first offered to fit my 20 year old daughter who was with me, even though when I walked in I said "I'd like to be fitted for my first pointe shoes" and then suggested what may have been mens' shoes as they were black. Anyone got any other useful suggestions?

2 Replies to adult wants to go en pointe

re: adult wants to go en pointe
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun May 22, 2016 11:17 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2016-05-22 11:32:02
Hi! Like you and am an older adult recreationalist/hobbyist ballet dancer who finally decided to start pointe in my late 40's.

Don't know if you are still on Holiday in New York, (and I am guessing by New York you mean New York City (NYC)) but you do know that NYC is THE Dance Capitol of the World!!

Freed has one of it's Flagship stores in NYC (the Mother-ship is in London) there, and so does Capezio. Also I believe Gaynor Mindon has a store in NYC as well. A lot of older recreationalist pointe binger's swear by GM's because of their polymer shanks. I use GM's myself.

When I saw your question, I though you were going to be asking about how an adult recreationalist goes about finding good quality beginner pointe instruction??? That seems to be the hardest thing, unless one is luckey enough to live in/or near a major city with a vibrant dance community.

Would love to know how you came across your instructor in AUS.

Hope that helps and best wishes in starting pointe!! Do enjoy your time left in NYC!!

P.S. - A few other thoughts just came to mind. 1. You might want to ask your question here on DDN in the "Ballet" Forum as it g
re: adult wants to go en pointe
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun May 22, 2016 04:04 PM
Hi again! Sorry, but the site was acting very wonky this morning, and I could not finish my other 2 thoughts, so let's try this again.

1.) You may want to ask this question on DDN's "Ballet Forum" as it gets a lot more viewers and traction than the "Adults" section here. YOu might get more ideas that way.

2.) Since you are from AUS, then have you looked at Bloch pointes?? I am sure they have a store down your way, and they might have one in NYC too. Would you suggest you do a good Google Search--Google is your friend.

P.P.S. - I love your Avitar btw!! It's cute!!

ReplySendWatch