Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

Girls & Guys
Boys en pointe
By Nickalbers Comments: 2, member since Sat May 21, 2016
On Sat May 21, 2016 06:36 AM
Edited by Theresa (28613) on 2016-05-21 17:27:29 No height/weight ratio allowed, sorry.

I'm 14 years old and have been dancing since I was 5. In the last few years I've focused on ballet. I've been encouraged lately to move onto pointe because it's the next step and will give me more options in the future. I enjoy watching pointe I just don't know if it's something I should do. I realize the difficulty and the time it will take to learn this. If I decide to do it I will be fully committed. I realize that it will be mostly girls which I'm used to. I wish more boys would be interested in ballet as it is. I have heard that dancing en pointe is easier for girls so I don't know if that's body type or what. I'm 5'4 and XXX pounds so I might be able to do it now but I could grow more. Is that an issue? Is this something I should just try and see how it goes. I would imagine it would just start with pointe work on the barre so maybe I could start with that. I could use any advice. Shoes? I really want to make the right decision with all this. Thanks.

4 Replies to Boys en pointe

re: Boys en pointe
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun May 22, 2016 08:31 AM
I'm trying to work out why being over 5'4" should be an issue for pointe work, a lot of professional dancers are well over that height and it hasn't been a problem for them.

Yes you start pointe at the barre, trust me, when you first get pointe shoes on and try to dance in them you will want to use the barre :)

Shoes, you need to go to a shop with several different brands to see how they fit your feet, a professional shoe fitter with your first shoe fitting is worth their weight in gold. Phone up your nearest shop and book an appointment, you may be there a while, let them know that it's you being fitted and that way they can make sure they have the right range of sizes in stock.

Good for you for training in pointe work, it will make you a better partner because you understand what the girls are having to cope with when they dance. I can't understand why more men don't do pointe work, but then I also can't understand why the girls don't do boys technique classes either. When I was a student that's what I did and I know it helped my jumps, turns and my general control.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sun May 22, 2016 04:13 PM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2016-05-22 16:20:06
Just to add: There is quite a long multi-year discussion thread still on-going here on DDN in the "Ballet Forum" about if boys should be allowed to take Pointe. Staying out of the debate--there is quite a bit of good info on pointe for boys/men, and sprinkled throughout all the posts are links to stories or YouTube video's folks have posted showing some very impressive video's of younger lads en pointe.

Personally, I am with Hummingbird on this, I believe boys/young men/men who want to try pointe, should be given the chance to have at it if they want to, and are physically developed enough with their ankles to do it. I've heard the same,....that even basic pointe training can really supplement and enhance a male dancer's training once a young man hits their teen years.
By Nickalbers Comments: 2, member since Sat May 21, 2016
On Sun May 22, 2016 04:38 PM
Thanks. I'll have to look for the other thread. I wasn't saying anything wrong with being over 5'4. I was just concerned with getting heavier if I get a lot taller. I really would like to try it, at least the prep pointe class. I would imagine it will be mostly barre work anyway and not on center. Maybe if more boys danced on pointe then more roles would be created for boys.
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Wed May 25, 2016 12:18 AM
At my dance studio we have guys taking pointe classes to strengthen their ankles. They do not perform in pointe shoes. Some of the guys wear ballet flats in the pointe class. I am one of those guys that wear ballet flats.

Its a very hard class but very rewarding

ReplySendWatch