Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Would you hire a male to work your front desk?
By misspointe
On Sun May 22, 2016 10:46 AM

Hello Everyone,
I have had many different office receptionist all being female age range between 18-60 none of them make it beyond a year most quit by the first year. I am curious if anyone has ever hired a male to run there front desk to act as a resceptionist. How do you think the parents would feel a male around children. I want to hire another office receptionist but I wanna see if a male would work. Can you please give me a list of pros and cons if you have any. Thank you!

4 Replies to Would you hire a male to work your front desk?

re: Would you hire a male to work your front desk?
By hummingbird
On Sun May 22, 2016 11:03 AM
Studios have male instructors, why shouldn't they have male desk staff? We had our SO husband on front desk for about a year when things weren't so crazy and it worked well, there weren't any problems.
By StepdancerPremium member
On Mon May 23, 2016 09:03 PM
Unless you have your receptionists helping kids change clothes, go to the bathroom, or something like that, I wouldn't think a man would be a problem for desk staff. On the contrary, you might find you get less guff from people--they're usually less likely to risk offending a man. I rent space from a mainstream studio owned by a man, and for many years, my dancers were in that studio's show. People used to come up to me all the time at the rehearsal or the recital and complain about this, that, or the other thing, and I would say, "You'll have to ask Henry. He owns the studio." And it would always end right there. They'd complain to a woman, but never to a man. :P
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 24, 2016 07:18 AM
Your problem hiring a male receptionist for a dance studio might be more in finding a guy - that's an unconventional job, and an unusual industry for a guy to be in - then it will be in what the parents will say. You may be better off finding people from within the studio - a parent maybe - that have an interest in staying put, and if you trust any of the receptionists you've had before, you might try to find out why they're quitting, maybe you have some parents being rude or something. You never know.
By ChristinePremium member
On Tue May 24, 2016 08:11 AM
Why not?

BTW...unless you can prove there is a good reason to discriminate against men in this position (dressing or undressing female children , toileting etc) and this same discrimination is not made toward women (dressing or undressing male children...) it is against the law in most places to make gender a criteria for employment.

If I could hire a good man to run the front desk it would save me a TON of headaches. Somehow the obnoxious know it all dance moms are less "assertive" toward men than other women. Sometimes the desk person has to essentially be a bouncer!

Good luck.

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch