Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

I can't get up on my box when I pirouette!
By Meddles
On Sun May 22, 2016 10:46 PM

I don't understand why I can't. My teacher said my arch is weak and gave me exercises, but they don't do anything for me. I've been on pointe for a year and a half. I can easily roll up and hop up on pointe at barre. I also have trouble batmasing up on en pointe. I can't spring up or roll up fast away from the barre. What's wrong?

2 Replies to I can't get up on my box when I pirouette!

re: I can't get up on my box when I pirouette!
By hummingbird
On Mon May 23, 2016 08:26 AM
For your turns I would stop thinking about your arch and start thinking about the movement coming from your ankle, you need to think about opening through the front of your ankle and trying to get your ankle forwards of your box.

For your centre work it's very difficult to tell without watching you but I suggest working more on your core, it also won't hurt to do some Theraband exercises to help with foot and ankle articulation.
re: I can't get up on my box when I pirouette!
By lifeisadebut
On Sat May 28, 2016 12:53 PM
I agree with the below response but, I also feel like you may want to reevaluate what pointe shoes you are in. What type of shoe are you wearing?? You want to be able to roll up and down with ease and not struggle too much while also building strength. As a professional, I have been back and forth with shoes and would love to give more advice.

ReplySendWatch