Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

NYC Intensive for an 11 year old student?
By ChristinePremium member
On Wed Jun 01, 2016 07:10 PM

I'm looking for an intensive type experience for an 11 year old student.

One of her classmates just attended a very nice experience at NYCB and the video looks like this 11 year old could handle it and be comfortable.

I love ABT, but don't know if they offer something similar.

Any suggestions?

Keep On Dancing*

5 Replies to NYC Intensive for an 11 year old student?

re: NYC Intensive for an 11 year old student? (karma: 1)
By Iamalittlefishie
On Thu Jun 02, 2016 07:31 PM
Every year Pointe magazine compiles a list of summer intensives and gives some data for easy comparisons. Here's a list I found with a quick google search-- not sure if it is very recent.

pointemagazine.com . . .
By pointshoe16
On Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:38 PM
American Ballet Theater offers a young dancer summer program for ages 9-12! I went for two years and had a great time.
By melissaga
On Sun Jun 05, 2016 05:08 PM
It's too late for SAB (NYCB) or ABT for this summer. Auditions are in the early winter for the most part, Jan or Feb.

For this summer, there are some smaller programs that may or may not have room. Manhattan Youth Ballet has a fabulous intensive in August with many guest teachers from NYCB and other places such as Broadway. It runs 3 weeks with an optional performance, though you must do all 3 weeks to do the performance. This year, they are having one for younger dancers in July as well, though I am not sure of the age range. I suspect she would fall within that age range as well. French Academy also has an intensive in August and they also take 11 yr olds. Gelsey Kirkland's program in Brooklyn may also be a possibility if it is not full.

Take a look at Ballet Talk for Dancers, another message board. They have reviews of many programs.
re: NYC Intensive for an 11 year old student?
By ChristinePremium member
On Sun Jun 05, 2016 05:46 PM
I just checked out the suggestions and discovered, as posted above, it's too late for this year.

I'm going to check out some open classes and a few local options. My bad... it didn't occur to me that she was old enough yet and then another girl at the studio, who is a great kid but not nearly as skilled as the 11 year old, did NYCB last week. I should have gotten on this sooner.

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to see if I can get her into a few varied experiences here and there and mark my calendar for ABT next January.

Thanks again.

Keep On Dancing*
re: NYC Intensive for an 11 year old student?
By melissaga
On Sun Jun 05, 2016 06:31 PM
She did "an intensive" with NYCB last week?

If so, it was not an intensive. They have various workshops that are open to anyone, including kids that don't dance. This is likely what the child did www.nycballet.com . . .

It's not the same sort of thing. You could still inquire at some of the smaller programs I mentioned to see if there is room, especially Manhattan Youth Ballet and their new July program. Most programs are finishing up the end of the year now and may take a while to get back to you, but it does not hurt to ask. Steps on Broadway is another possibility. They have several programs.

ReplySendWatch