Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Bloch Heritage- a quick question about shank strength
By Odalisque
On Sun Jun 05, 2016 05:40 PM
Edited by Odalisque (276835) on 2016-06-05 17:41:27 spelling error

Hi!

This is a question for anyone who has used the Bloch Heritage pointe shoe. I am breaking in a new pair and finding it to be kind of difficult. I'm new to pointe, but think I've softened up the arch and demi pointe area enough. I have average/normal arches and a low-medium instep. I just discovered that the heritage comes in a hard shank and a soft shank. Is there any way for me to determine which shank strength I have? All it says on the bottom is Heritage S0180 and the width and size.

I would try this shoe in a softer shank if I have the hard one, but if this is the soft version... o_O

Thanks!

2 Replies to Bloch Heritage- a quick question about shank strength

re: Bloch Heritage- a quick question about shank strength
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Mon Jun 06, 2016 04:53 AM
From what I can tell, if it is a strong shank, it would have a code S0180S for it.

No S on the end of the code means the medium shank.

Sorry!
re: Bloch Heritage- a quick question about shank strength
By Odalisque
On Mon Jun 06, 2016 04:33 PM
Thank you for being so helpful! After your reply, I looked it up and saw that S is for strong and L for light/soft. As mine bear neither an S nor an L, I guess you are correct! I spoke to my teacher and she advised me to manually break the shoes in a bit, by bending them in the demi-pointe and arch areas with my hands. I have been hesitant to try this with my shoes so far, relying instead on rises and such to break them in. However, I did this a few times gently and they now hug my arch beautifully and feel a lot more comfortable. Previously I had only crushed the box a bit and tried to do some releves, but the demi-pointe area was so stiff it wouldn't allow me more than a 1/4 pointe. Now I can achieve a high demi. I am still not 100% over my box in open positions, but it is better. :)

ReplySendWatch