Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Modern Dance - General
"Dancers should be trained in all styles of dance" True?
By SophieH Comments: 7, member since Sun Aug 03, 2014
On Mon Jun 06, 2016 03:36 PM

I don't know whether to keep on modern class or not. I have done the ISTD grade 5 syllabus this year but did not do the exam. I originally just wanted to do classical ballet but ended up doing modern this year also but I don't know if I should do the class again next term. I am not the greatest at it as I am trained for ballet. My teacher believes dancers should be skilled in different styles. Will the modern class do any benefit for my future as I aspire to go to a dance college or performance arts college?
Also, if I do the class again next term, should I take the ISTD Grade 6 exam?

2 Replies to "Dancers should be trained in all styles of dance" True?

re: "Dancers should be trained in all styles of dance" True?
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Jun 07, 2016 08:27 AM
Yes it will help, you work much more on flexibility in the ISTD Modern Syllabus than you do in their ballet syllabus and more classes will only help your dancing.
re: "Dancers should be trained in all styles of dance" True?
By SDAdancerLIM Comments: 37, member since Tue May 17, 2016
On Tue Jun 07, 2016 06:15 PM
You should definitely continue modern dance. I've been looking into college dance majors (since I'm a junior in high school) and most of the colleges I've been looking at have huge modern dance programs. Most colleges focus on a particular dance style (either ballet or modern). Any type of dance program (college, performing arts school, etc.) will look for dancers who are versatile and have training in a variety of styles. Modern dance training will also help with the flexibility, strength, and musicality that you need for other styles of dance.

ReplySendWatch