Forum: Advice / Stretching

Stretching
The benefits of stretching cold muscles
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2574, member since Tue Feb 21, 2006
On Thu Jun 16, 2016 04:55 AM

Okay I'm sure you all clicked on this to say noooooo! Don't do it! Injuries etc. So for the record this is not an activity I have partaken in I just read an article about it and I was curious to what others think about it.

www.strengthcoach.com . . .

So you use the foam roller then stretch, does any one do this? Do you gain more in the long run and lose less between stretching sessions?

3 Replies to The benefits of stretching cold muscles

re: The benefits of stretching cold muscles
By wondero Comments: 4, member since Thu Jun 16, 2016
On Thu Jun 16, 2016 05:04 AM
I think that a little streching (even cold muscles) doesnt hurt anyone. But you have to do it carefully.
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2574, member since Tue Feb 21, 2006
On Thu Jun 16, 2016 05:37 AM
I'm going to give it a try and then I'll report back but yes carefully indeed.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Jun 16, 2016 08:19 AM
Lets face it, the stretches they're talking about don't include plopping down into a full split and staying there for 10 minutes, the sort of stretches they're discussing are much more along the lines of try and touch your toes and hold it.

This is the bit we should be looking at

'Carolina Hurricanes Trainer and Strength Coach Peter Freisen has a theory. He thinks it is more dangerous to be overly flexible in one muscle group than to be tight in all of them. Don't just do the stretches you like or are good at, in fact maybe eliminate or abbreviate the ones you are good at and work harder on the ones you don't like.'

Hello dancers who concentrate on hamstring length and nothing else!
And when you read these last sentences quoted here it puts the whole article a bit more into perspective

'Bottom line, stretching is highly underrated. If you want to be healthy long term, add some good old-fashioned stretching to the workout.'

I don't think any dancers underrate stretching, this article is meant for people who don't stretch, period!

ReplySendWatch