Forum: Advice / Injuries

Injuries
IT Band syndrome
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2574, member since Tue Feb 21, 2006
On Mon Jun 20, 2016 04:37 PM

If you've seen my last post then you'll know I had a mysterious pain that went away, recently. Well it returned and then was followed by severe pain on the outside of my knee.
I could barely walk so I saw a doctor who diagnosed it band syndrome, he prescribed ibuprofen ice and rest.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this injury apparently it's quite common, I've read about a lot of strengthening excercises I can do to help recovery and prevent it reoccurring. Has anyone used any good excercises?

How long did recovery take for you?

Thanks

Bb

2 Replies to IT Band syndrome

re: IT Band syndrome
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Jun 20, 2016 05:19 PM
Get to a PT now!

Your IT band is trying to be a turnout muscle and that's also what made your knee sore, the IT band is pulling your patella off track because it's tightening when it tries to turn out your leg. First of all you need to get a bit of IT band release work done and that has to be done by a professional who knows about athletic conditioning. Then you'll need a whole schwack of glute med and max exercises, those are the muscles you should be using to help your turn out. Because you have a faulty muscle firing pattern you need to start the exercises with the PT watching you so your IT band doesn't just kick back in instead. Get used to having a very sore butt for a few weeks as those muscles get used to their proper jobs again. :)

I'm recovering from IT band syndrome at the moment that started up when I slipped on some ice and damaged my VMO.
re: IT Band syndrome
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2574, member since Tue Feb 21, 2006
On Fri Jun 24, 2016 02:26 PM
Thank you so much for your response, it's so nice to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about from a dance point of view. My doctor doesn't really know anything about dance so couldn't give me any answers beyond rest for now and see how it feels. It is feeling much better through rest but I am of course going to take your advice and go to a physio, the last thing I want is to think I'm fine throw myself back into everything that I do and make it worse again.
Thank you

ReplySendWatch