Forum: Advice / Injuries

Injuries
trouble finding a brace/support!
By greatunknowns Comments: 7, member since Sat Nov 29, 2014
On Mon Jun 20, 2016 06:27 PM

I've got some chronic ankle instability, with pain that comes and goes. I've apparently rolled over my ankle one too many times, but none of those times were anything above a grade 1 sprain. Never thought much of it when I was younger, so I never immobilized it properly. My ortho says that my ankle is pretty loose/unstable, and says that I probably sprained my CFL, which is the second ligament to go right after the ATFL. I also had some peroneal tendinitis several years ago, but I can't remember if it was the same ankle.

I also had an issue with my sinus tarsi last year, received a cortisone shot, and the pain went away (which is often how that injury is diagnosed - inject cortisone, and you have that syndrome if the pain subsides). I'm now experiencing pain every so often, right back where I had the sinus tarsi pain. Chronic ankle instability and low arches (which I have) aggravate that situation, and walking on uneven ground does not help.

I keep up with PT exercises, I almost always wear supportive shoes, and I don't dance as much as I used to (as of right now), but I do love to run. I try to keep my high-impact activities to a minimum, but I won't give up running. Which means, I'm in the market for a brace that will give me some lateral stability! However, I am HIGHLY allergic to neoprene. I break out in a terribly itchy bout of hives where the brace is, and a layer of pre-wrap, a sock, or even an entire layer of clothing does not help.

Just putting some feelers out to see if anyone on here knows of companies that make neoprene-free braces. I'm having a really hard time finding one. I've heard of Bio Skin and Bauerfeind, but those are the only two companies I've heard of and my options are limited. I also have a small foot (shoe size 5.5-6) which makes it hard to find something my size. Any suggestions are super appreciated!

2 Replies to trouble finding a brace/support!

re: trouble finding a brace/support!
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Thu Aug 18, 2016 01:07 AM
I'm sure you've already discussed this with your podiatrist.
Could s/he refer you to any of their websites?

I don't know if you just need an insole, or if you need a stability ankle brace.

I found this: www.google.com . . .

maybe this? www.amazon.com . . .

I'm not a medic, and I'm not familiar with your medical terms or situation, what I AM going on is my own experience with high arches and tricky ankles and feet.

Best of luck!

Sorry I couldn't provide more resources :(

www.braceshop.com . . .
re: trouble finding a brace/support!
By greatunknowns Comments: 7, member since Sat Nov 29, 2014
On Mon Aug 29, 2016 09:47 PM
Shadow - so funny, I was just coming on here to scour the board for info about a different injury & happened to stumble upon your reply.

An insole would *probably* be okay, but every so often, whether I'm just walking around or out on a run, my ankle will decide to roll. My body is pretty quick to react, so I never go down, but my ankles have always done that, no idea why. (It doesn't happen often, thank goodness.) I figured a brace with lateral stability would at least help a bit more than an insole.

I wound up purchasing both the BioSkin and Bauerfeind braces (that Bauerfeind one was PRICY), but neither were good matches for me. Both did give me good stability, but the BioSkin one was super bulky in my running shoes, and tricky & time-consuming to put on, as it comes in three parts. The Bauerfeind one was a tiny bit sleeker, but I found that it didn't give me the proper lateral stability and instead limited my range of movement for dorsiflexion/plantarflexion, which gave me massive cramps up my entire leg within five minutes of a run. My PT suggested a quick-lace brace, which I'll be ordering this week, but I'm essentially back to square one.

*sigh* HAD to be allergic to neoprene...

ReplySendWatch