Forum: Advice / Stretching

Stretching
Entire Posterior Chain seems tight
By kinsidhe Comments: 248, member since Fri May 14, 2010
On Tue Jun 21, 2016 08:28 AM

Hallo!

I am looking for some advice or thoughts on my little tightness issue.

Last year I sprained my lower back L5/S1 and have had issues with my sacroiliac joint since then. PT has helped, time has helped. I no longer have any pain in the injured areas/joints but I seem to have developed unrelenting tightness in my hamstrings, lower back, and mid back.

My physio told me I have tightness in my left sacroiliac joint-the pain I had from the sprain was felt in my right side. I suspect there is still some instability there which may be contributing to the muscle tightness.

My left mid-back muscles will periodically go into sudden spasm-I can get it to release usually after about a minute or two of breathing and rubbing it.

The low back tightness across my pelvis is nearly constant and can get quite intense/painful at times. I have what feels like solid ropes of tight muscle on either side of my spine all the way up my back up to about my shoulder blade height.

My once fairly flexible hamstrings seem to just get tighter and tighter despite warmups and stretching. They have gotten so tight that they seem to be pulling from the insertion points now instead of me feeling stretching in the belly of the muscle.

Bad things I do: I work at a desk for most of the day. If I dont pay attention I will sit with my right leg crossed over my left. Sometimes it is to relieve some sciatic pain, sometimes it is just something I catch myself doing. I usually sleep curled up in a ball. I've worked a lot on opening my hips out-perhaps to point of neglecting my internal rotators?

Good things I do ( I hope): Warmup with dynamic stretching before class and practice. At work I get up as frequently as I can to loosen up my hips and back. I stretch well after class and practice. I work on my core and back strength nearly everyday. I foam roll and have tried using a ball under my feet to release the tension/fascia in my feet with some success.

I have yoga class 2-3 times a week and have noticed a loss of range of motion in some of the poses that lengthen the hamstrings.

I am wondering if this is possibly coming from an instability due to a lack of activation in certain muscle groups? (ex. I know I am still having trouble activating my glutes) Could one area be weak and my body is over tightening down the back to compensate?

Or is the front of me too tight (my quads are pretty tight) and my back pulling against it working too hard? I do make sure I target my hip flexors and quads when I am stretching-maybe not enough? too much? Maybe I need to be bending the other way!

Ok That's all the info I can think of at the moment. PT is extremely expensive for me so I am trying to avoid having to go back and since this all seems to just be tight muscles and no alarming joint pain I thought I would try here first and see if any of you lovely people had some ideas for me.

my thanks as always!
K.

ReplySendWatch