What level to compete in
By steppinsteph
On 06/23/2016 05:37:20
This is kind of long, so PLEASE stick with me. After talking to studio owners at comps this year, I am really confused about what level to compete (novice, intermediate, advanced). Most comps have guidelines, but make it clear that those are only suggestions, and as a studio owner, you choose where to put your students. I just want to compete fairly. I don't want to just 'clean up' and I don't want to compete 'out of our league' either. My comp team competes mostly acro, open, and musical theat. We are a super small studio in a low-income area. They are required to take Ballet (45 mins) Tumbling (60 mins) and team class (60 mins) a week. Most also take jazz (45 mins) and 45 mins of baton, clogging, tap, etc. If they do a duo or trio, their practice is 30 mins. a week. We do classes all summer long. They are required to be at team unless they have a dr. note. (and 2 optional weeks off in the summer) There is no requirement for other classes, but they show up pretty regularly. They aren't required to attend master classes, and may do school activities as long as it doesn't interfere with the 3 required classes. Only one girl ever attends an intensive in the summer, and all she competes is a solo. Should I count the baton? Should I count the weight lifting class they do in school? So, about 70% are barely over the 5 hour limit to be in whatever they call the level 3. Sometimes I have some compete level 2 or 1. I am a big stickler for rules, so we go by the book, but a I was talking to others, they DON'T go by the book, so I am not sure what to do.
re: What level to compete in
By hummingbird
On 06/23/2016 07:56:23
If they're competing in acro then I would only include their acro training when working out their level, it's a very specific style and a lot of the steps being taught are only taught in Acro classes. I look upon it this way Tap and Clogging might help with a dancers rhythm but does it assist with their Acro tricks and technique? Not really. Just in the same way learning to play an instrument will help with musicality and rhythm but won't do anything for dance technique. For Open and Musical Theatre I would count all of their dance training, don't count in weight lifting, it's not dance technique. I'm not sure about baton, I've not had any of my dancers train in that and I'm not even sure what dance technique is involved in a baton class. In short count dance technique that's relevant to the style they're competing in.

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 01/25/2022 05:32:52