Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Studios Cutting music for recital
By misspointe
On Wed Jun 29, 2016 04:42 AM

Question regarding cutting and editing music during recital time.
My staff uses a sound person who comes in every year to cut and make all CD's for the show. His prices this year were very high way over my budget. I asked my teacher last year to look into software for cutting music. I gave her a list. This May she said she didn't have time and had no idea on how to do this, they asked if they can have the sound person do the cuts for the music. My only question is what do other studios do with getting their music cut.Thank you.

8 Replies to Studios Cutting music for recital

re: Studios Cutting music for recital
By hummingbird
On Wed Jun 29, 2016 06:11 AM
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2016-06-29 06:53:22
Edited by hummingbird (128773) on 2016-06-29 06:54:53
We cut our own music, all of us have Macs and there's a piece of software that comes with our machines called GarageBand, it's quite easy to use and if you're not sure where to start look on Youtube because someone will have made a film of what to do and posted it there if you're not sure.

If you don't have a Mac there's a very good piece of free software that's been around for years called Audacity and I've used that too, there are also films on Youtube if you're not sure how to use it.

I would tell them that if they want their music cut professionally they are welcome to do so but the studio can't pay for it any more or they have to share the costs with the studio.
By kr_WDance
On Wed Jun 29, 2016 06:59 AM
My studio owner has it cut by a sound guy we know, and the teachers can do their own or send it to him. The studio pays the bill... I think last year he probably cut 75 songs and charged 600. Some are easy fade outs and some are more complex so the prices vary.

My SO can do it but she doesn't want to spend the time so she'd rather pay. I think if SOs want their teachers to do it, maybe they could offer a class or workshop or something where they are taught to use garage band/audacity etc..
By Evanstar
On Wed Jun 29, 2016 08:05 AM
Edited by Evanstar (148739) on 2016-06-29 08:07:15
My son went to school for sound engineering and production but is currently in school pursuing a PhD in psychology. He edits all of our music. Our instructors like to use several different songs for one dance for hip hop and poms and he can seamlessly edit songs together so one blends right into the next. I go to dance competitions and am appalled by some of the editing that studios use. He can loop music, fade, really just about any editing you need. He charges $85 for 1-7 tracks and $10 a track after 7. We use a drop box to send him all of our music and an email telling him what we want done. He edits and sends them back through a drop box. He uses Reason which is a complex professional music editing software. If you or anyone is interested I can send his contact info. Should be a little more clear - it is not $85 for each track but $85 for up to 7 tracks and then $10 a track after 7.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:29 AM
We have a teacher that's pretty good with software, and she does it. I also have a student who's pretty good with that sort of thing, and he did a song for me last year. I wanted the song to cut out at the end, so it sounded like something was wrong with the radio. He was in the dance, so he already knew what I wanted, it was easier to just give it to him. And he did it perfect, the first time our SO heard it was at dress rehearsal, and she panicked, LOL...

If you know you have some computer savvy kids, they might do it just for the fun of having done it!
By stargaze
On Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:07 PM
I also use Garageband...it is relatively user friendly once you tinker around with it. I can't imagine paying someone to do something I could do myself. I always cut and splice my music early in the season, then make adjustments as needed closer to the show. That way, I am not scrambling to do it before the show when a million other things are going on!
By RileyA
On Fri Jul 01, 2016 02:36 PM
I do it all myself, using Audacity.
By misspointe
On Sat Jul 02, 2016 05:53 AM
Hello Evanstar, that would be great if you could send me your sons contact info.
Please PM me this information. Thank you
By dancerxiv
On Mon Jul 04, 2016 01:56 PM
One of my instructors cuts our music and makes custom mixes and edits... She has just started going into business with other local studios to cut their music or created mixes for them if needed as well. She's looking for new clients if you're interested!

ReplySendWatch