Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Removing crystals from a satin dress?
By eatsleepjigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:52 AM
Edited by eatsleepjig (250354) on 2016-06-30 11:56:20 clarification

I'm looking at buying a new (to me) dress, and everything about it is perfect... except for the crystals. I'm a fan of lots of AB crystals (especially large teardrops) and the dress I'm interested in has clear crystals (pear and round). I'm wondering the best way to remove these stones without wrecking the satin and embroidery. Is it even worth it?

Edit/Clarification: I'm not looking to remove every single clear crystal - just the pears and a handful of the round crystals so I can replace with AB pears and scattered AB rounds.

8 Replies to Removing crystals from a satin dress?

re: Removing crystals from a satin dress?
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 30, 2016 02:15 PM
I have never done it, but when I have seen crystals that have fallen off a dress, there is often a glue residue left behind that would show. Were you planning on putting different crystals over each crystal you are removing?
On Thu Jun 30, 2016 07:09 PM
Yes, I was planning on just taking off a clear and replacing it with an AB of the same or larger size!
By keepitpink1
On Fri Jul 01, 2016 01:17 AM
Hello.
I have done this before. If you are replacing with the same size you will cover the residue 😊
On Fri Jul 01, 2016 09:01 AM
Keepitpink - Have you found a good way to remove the stones?
By krisinstitches
On Fri Jul 01, 2016 09:40 AM
I've also been successful peeling off crystals to replace them. Basically what I've done is just gently pried them off slowly so as not to rip the fabric or pull the embroidery. Most come off without much trouble, sometimes I have to try a different couple of directions to pull from to get them removed. Sometimes you're lucky and the glue comes off too, but since you're just replacing them with the color you prefer, it's not necessary to remove the glue. Hope that helps!
By Kate_79
On Wed Aug 17, 2016 08:12 AM
Does anyone know what type of glue is normally used to apply them? It's possible something like a hair dryer or heat gun- used very carefully - could loosen the bond of the glue. Just what the embroidery, depending on what type of thread is used it could have an adverse reaction to heat...
By krisinstitches
On Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:56 AM
There are several different glues used, e6000, gemtac, hot fix crystals have their own glue. I've had experience with e6000 for sure (it's all I use on dresses), but have removed gems from dresses that I don't know what glue was used. The issue with using heat to remove them is you will leave a shiny residue behind, as some of the glue will remain on the fabric or embroidery. If you're simply going to replace in the same pattern, this will be fine. But if you're planning on doing something different, careful peeling off of the crystals is your best bet. Slow and steady can get most off, I'd only resort to heat on particularly stubborn spots.

Good luck!
By Kate_79
On Mon Aug 22, 2016 02:18 PM
Good point about the glue residue. I just imagined there would normally be some residue left with or without heat but I can see your point about the sheen.

ReplySendWatch