Forum: Advice / Injuries

Injuries
Is this a [ballet] injury?
By froyo Comments: 5, member since Mon Jun 27, 2016
On Sat Jul 02, 2016 04:32 AM

Recently, I've been experiencing a selective knee pain on my right. I take 2 classes in one day and it usually happens in my second class during battement tendu and glise in fifth position on the barre. (It hurt again earlier today, worse than before that I had to pause in the middle of the exercise.) The pain only appears when I close back to fifth and it feels like my calf and thigh are being pulled towards different directions at the knee.

Is this an actual injury or some kind of precursor? Or is there something wrong with my turning out? I don't have a natural hyperextension but from years and years of dancing, I have developed it quite a bit. I'm thinking that maybe I'm over using my hyper extensions, but then again, it only hurts on my right knee and at specific exercises.

I've overlooked a minor injury before because it didn't show any physical symptoms but pain and I don't want to repeat the same mistake.

1 Replies to Is this a [ballet] injury?

re: Is this a [ballet] injury?
By hummingbird Comments: 10413, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Jul 02, 2016 09:34 AM
It sounds like you could be locking back your knees rather than engaging your quads, you need to think about pulling your kneecap up your leg. If you sit on the floor with your legs stretched out in front of you you'll be able to watch this happen. You need to keep your heels on the floor and just slide the kneecap up your leg using your thigh muscles.

If you use your hyper extensions to keep your legs straight you are going to damage the soft tissues in your knee, you need to use your quads to stabilize the joint. I'm not saying this is the only reason your knees are hurting but it's probably a good starting point.

ReplySendWatch