Forum: Highland / Highland - Adult Dancers

Highland - Adult Dancers
Getting knees back
By fusilli Comments: 31, member since Sun Oct 06, 2013
On Mon Jul 04, 2016 02:07 PM

Does anyone else find it extremely difficult if not frustrating trying to keep knees back in shedding etc? In fact is there an exact angle judges look for? I wonder if this is an adult thing or if everyone just needs to practise, stretch and so on.

7 Replies to Getting knees back

re: Getting knees back
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Mon Jul 04, 2016 06:29 PM
In the the definition of 3rd aerial or 3rd rear aerial it just says that the knee is pressed well back, but the goal should be that it's flat and completely out to the side. Haha this is easier said than done though. For turnout it's important that you have the flexibility, but also the strength, because if you just stretch you'll weaken the muscles and your body won't have the strength to maintain the turnout. Good stretches are butterfly, frog, and splits, and for strengthening anything like squats, lunges or other glute exercises are great :) and pretty much everyone needs to work on turnout, you'll get it with practice!
By sar1 Comments: 13, member since Thu Jan 14, 2016
On Tue Jul 05, 2016 08:46 AM
I'm not sure if it's harder for adults or not.. I think it's something we all sturggle with.. As the above poster said - stretching if your friend, but strengthening the muscles too. I found that barre classes are great, or yoga, pilates etc to cross train.
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4728, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Wed Jul 06, 2016 09:10 AM
There is an excellent sticky on the ballet general forum called "The turnout dance". You'll find some excellent advice there on developing turnout. You need to remember, too, that once you reach puberty, the degree of rotation you have in the hip joint is set. The degree of rotation cannot be improved, but what can be improved is the strength you have to maintain what you do have. One exercise you can do to develop the strength is the clam. Lie on your side, curled up as in the fetal position. Lift the top knee, then close the knees.
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Wed Jul 06, 2016 09:27 AM
Just to add to the poster above, clam shells are really great and if you want to make them a bit more effective, try tying a resistance band around your quads :)
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Sun Aug 21, 2016 04:31 AM
My teacher tells us to try imagining using the supporting leg to really press your foot against, as a sort of lever.
By Robertson1 Comments: 16, member since Thu Jun 02, 2016
On Wed Sep 07, 2016 08:48 AM
I have been doing clam shells each morning to help! Also, when I use a mirror to practice it helps me to see where I need to be more conscious of my turnout.
By happychick09 Comments: 553, member since Mon Aug 16, 2004
On Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:57 PM
Definitely a constant battle. I find it helpful to think about squeezing your glutes. Your glute muscles are important for turnout - clamshells help A LOT too, but do not neglect your glutes.

ReplySendWatch